VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum. My 2008 New Beetle lease is about to end and the lease return inspection found two places where the paint is peeling, on the top edge of the bumper where it meets the trunk, directly across from each headlight.

It is peeling on both sides, along the entire two inches or so of that seam where the bumper meets the trunk.

Even though the car is three years old, it only has 5800 miles and has been garaged the whole time. I have to admit when the car was new, I noticed the paint was bubbling in those areas, but I didn't think anything. I just figured, it's a new car, so that must be how it's supposed to look. Anyway, over time, that bubbling paint peeled off, and it's being called "excessive" wear and tear.

So, has anyone ever heard of or seen such a thing? I can post a pic if necessary. Would this come under the warranty? To me, the fact that it happened on both sides seems to suggest a defect. But what do I know? I'm just the schmuck who saw bubbling paint on his new car and didn't say anything to anyone, and now might get dinged for it on the lease return.

Any help, advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
WTF? 3 yrs old & 5800 miles!

Very possible, the original Dealer had to do some repaint on the bumper from shipping or lot damage, sounds like the edge of either the base color or clear coat not bonding and peeling. You should have dealt with it under warranty. Check your OM for the paint warranty. It sounds like you early neglect to address the issue (it was supposed to be that way? Really...) might come back to BYITA! Write VWoA a letter, a tactful complaint. The Lessor is not liable for your, the Factory, or the Dearlers shortcomings. Your contract however, should hold you responsible for making sure warranty items were taken care of.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No, what I said was to check the Owners Manual for the terms of the portion of the warranty covering the paint.

I can't see the problem, so I can't tell you for sure if it is a paint failure issue, or has contributing factors like salt corrosion, or some other type of airborne corrosion or spillage from something, that may have tracked into the seam and collected at the two spots symetrically opposite on each side of the car, (kind of what it sounds like). Regardless of the low mileage, I have no idea how the paint has been maintained, or the car kept, i.e. parked daily in a chemical plant parking lot, etc.

You also don't say if the peeling, lifting, bubbling of the paint is the base coat or the clear coat. Or even if it is a color that IS clearcoated.

If the Lessor is trying to get you for more than $100-$150 (less it's not worth you time f'ing with), find the body shop your VW Dealer uses (ask them), that will have the correct color and/or clearcoat in stock. They will probably fix the issues for less than $100, because they are not faced with buying $100s worth of materials for a little touch-up. It's not as simple or cheap as simply buying a half-pint of paint. Paint type specific reducers and hardeners are required also, which is why paint work costs so much.

MORAV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.