NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife thought that the transmission was going out on her 2008 VB new beetle. This morning I took a look and I see that the shifter slide cover broke. I do not have experience with this so I need assistance. Do this cover keep the stick in place and that is why she felt the tranny was going out? Do I just need to buy the cover and install it or do I need the entire shifter assembly? I took a picture of it.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
These commonly break; causing shifting issues. Using VCDS, you will typically get a transmission shifter related trouble code and this would confirm, the assembly is defective. Sometimes, the small magnets come off and can be reglued in place. The mechanical aspect of the shifter assembly; will eventually wear out, break and that point, I would just replace it. VW still makes them and you can order a new one, from your local VW dealer or check for better prices, from the VW dealers who sell parts online, to save some money. I got a used one, that was good; the top cover was a different color and the PRNDS plastics, were is better shape, on the original one. So, I just swapped out the parts; cannibalized, the good for the bad and came out with a working assembly. This car was shifting badly; as the selector was broken, the tcu, didn't indicate the right position, when using live data with VCDS. I installed the new part; reset the kickdown settings and this solved the shifting problem, a big improvement, compared to how it shifted before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do I have to buy the entire assembly? If you can let me know the part I need to get. I thought I just needed the rubber piece that covers the guts. Also is it something you replaced yourself or you suggest to take it to a mechanics?

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
It depends, what is damaged; there is the internal plastics, which are something of a cover and then, the portion, that holds the magnets, which indicate the position and this communicates with the transmission computer/controller. The part is sold as a assembly: you cannot buy individual parts for it; unless you cannibalize a used part, etc.

Have you scanned for trouble codes; using a vw factory scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech? This could be a diy replacement/repair; done at home. For parts, contact your local VW dealer and they can get you what you need.

You can look up part here:

www.parts.vw.com

Replacement video:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I connected the obd scanner and did not pick up any codes. Now while shifting I see the Shifter indicator indicating the wrong gear and in the dashboard all gears are highlighted. Recommendations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It depends, what is damaged; there is the internal plastics, which are something of a cover and then, the portion, that holds the magnets, which indicate the position and this communicates with the transmission computer/controller. The part is sold as a assembly: you cannot buy individual parts for it; unless you cannibalize a used part, etc.

Have you scanned for trouble codes; using a vw factory scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech? This could be a diy replacement/repair; done at home. For parts, contact your local VW dealer and they can get you what you need.

You can look up part here:

www.parts.vw.com

Replacement video:

I saw that video but he jumped most of the install part lol...

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
A typical obd II scan tool: may not show all the trouble codes, associated with the transmission or be able to view live data (for example: to be able to "see" if the tranmission computer; knows, it is in the right gear, etc). As noted, a VW specific scan tool, like VCDS by Ross Tech; is probably needed to do this type of testing/troubleshooting procedures. If the shifter assembly, is messed up or has worn/broken parts; a new assembly, is probably, the best way to go (you use this part; constantly on a daily basis; a defective part, will affect the tranmissions ability to shift correctly).

NOTE: the "PRNDS" speedo display controls being "lit up"; is a diagnostic indicator of, a fault in the system BUT this could be just one, of other issues wrong with the transmission.

Based upon what you are saying; it sounds like your shifter assembly is defective.

As I said before, to correctly diagnose things; you will need a VW specific scan tool like VCDS and then, you can read codes, do testing, other procedures, recheck correct functionality, after you complete repairs needed, reset kick down settings, recheck for any trouble codes, view live data, etc.

It is preferable, to diagnose and troubleshoot things correctly, rather then guessing and throwing expensive, new parts at the problem, requiring the use of a VW specific scan tool. Without proper diagnostics; you are essentially flying blind, you could get lucky and a new transmission selector, being the "fix" but you won't know, until you replace it with a new part.

To get a sense of VCDS and tranmission testing; check out this video:

As to the shifter assembly replacement: you will need to disassemble the console, to access it; after that, the replacement of the shifter selector assembly, is easy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on what you said I think it’s better if I let a real mechanic take care of it. I have replaced few things in my cadillac including the water pump but never messed with a shifter less anything related with the transmission. Looking at the image I posted don’t you think it is the shifter? I saw the prices of the vcds and I probably won’t use it but once to justify the cost. If would tackle this if for sure someone would tell that may be the culprit.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Based upon, the symptoms:

1. selector is damaged
2. drive selection is off
3. selection display in the speedo "lit up"
4. shifting issues are present

I would say, that points towards the shifter assembly being defective; having said that, as I said before, one would like to confirm, the diagnosis. We cannot confirm the problem without a VW specific scan tool; we are "guessing", at this, essentially "flying blind" without confirmation from the trouble codes, live data, from the VW scan tool.

VCDS isn't the only scan tool out there; OBDeleven, is another option and costs less. I highly recommend investing in a VW specific scan tool; mine has saved me thousands, in diagnosis and repairs. Most of the time, it will pay for itself; the first repair you do! I can see, a pro shop; charging allot of money, to diagnose and replace the shifter assembly. The diag/parts/labor/: plus the shifter assembly, will be marked up from what you can buy it from the VW dealer. I predict this total repair at a professional auto repair shop, will cost more; then, buying a vw scan tool and then, you will have the tool for the next repair. Since, you have a aging 12 year old Volkswagen; you WILL need it again, guaranteed! :) Take control of your diagnostic and repair process; for many repairs, you will be able to do it yourself and not be beholden, to the high cost of professional VW repair shops or the VW dealer.

ALSO, VCDS by Ross Tech; holds it resale value; you will typically get close to or sometimes more, then what you pay for it, if you decide to sell it later on. The older Genuine Ross TECH VCDS HEX CAN cables: are actually, selling for more, then what they sold for new and they are in demand now!

As to the replacement, it isn't hard and if you can do a waterpump, you can definitely remove the console and swap out the shifter assembly.

As you can see, in this exploded view with screw locations; it isn't hard, just a bit time consuming and you might get some automotive plastic pry tools, to reduce damage to the interior plastics (they tend to be brittle).

Here is some diagnostic info and how to replace the assembly:

shifter replacement:

It isn't hard: YOU CAN DO IT and SAVE MONEY; at the same time and the feeling of fixing your own car, is priceless! :) We want to encourage everyone on this site: to get the correct tools needed to do the repairs, they are working with, to do a correct diagnosis, buy quality parts to fix the issue and save money in the process! What do you have to lose? 🏁 😎 👨‍🔧:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based upon, the symptoms:

1. selector is damaged
2. drive selection is off
3. selection display in the speedo "lit up"
4. shifting issues are present

I would say, that points towards the shifter assembly being defective; having said that, as I said before, one would like to confirm, the diagnosis. We cannot confirm the problem without a VW specific scan tool; we are "guessing", at this, essentially "flying blind" without confirmation from the trouble codes, live data, from the VW scan tool.

VCDS isn't the only scan tool out there; OBDeleven, is another option and costs less. I highly recommend investing in a VW specific scan tool; mine has saved me thousands, in diagnosis and repairs. Most of the time, it will pay for itself; the first repair you do! I can see, a pro shop; charging allot of money, to diagnose and replace the shifter assembly. The diag/parts/labor/: plus the shifter assembly, will be marked up from what you can buy it from the VW dealer. I predict this total repair at a professional auto repair shop, will cost more; then, buying a vw scan tool and then, you will have the tool for the next repair. Since, you have a aging 12 year old Volkswagen; you WILL need it again, guaranteed! :) Take control of your diagnostic and repair process; for many repairs, you will be able to do it yourself and not be beholden, to the high cost of professional VW repair shops or the VW dealer.

ALSO, VCDS by Ross Tech; holds it resale value; you will typically get close to or sometimes more, then what you pay for it, if you decide to sell it later on. The older Genuine Ross TECH VCDS HEX CAN cables: are actually, selling for more, then what they sold for new and they are in demand now!

As to the replacement, it isn't hard and if you can do a waterpump, you can definitely remove the console and swap out the shifter assembly.

As you can see, in this exploded view with screw locations; it isn't hard, just a bit time consuming and you might get some automotive plastic pry tools, to reduce damage to the interior plastics (they tend to be brittle).

Here is some diagnostic info and how to replace the assembly:

shifter replacement:

It isn't hard: YOU CAN DO IT and SAVE MONEY; at the same time and the feeling of fixing your own car, is priceless! :) We want to encourage everyone on this site: to get the correct tools needed to do the repairs, they are working with, to do a correct diagnosis, buy quality parts to fix the issue and save money in the process! What do you have to lose? 🏁 😎 👨‍🔧:)
Thank you very much for the detailed information. I have ordered the part and will adventure to install it :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
I’ve had a similar issue and was able to salvage enough to keep from having to buy the selector mechanism. I used Gorilla tape to replicate the roll top style mechanism. Hasn’t hiccuped again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
I cannibalized two and made one good one; worked out but it had been replaced before. There is something to be said for new parts; especially, on high wear and constant use parts, like a shifter (especially for a vehicle; a daughter or wife would drive daily).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts