VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone finds this thread, but I can't for the life of me find any sort of diagram on my car. It's a used vehicle, passed down from my mom to my aunt (and then back to me). The car wasn't in the best shape when I got it.

Anyway, I can't find any vacuum diagram. It's not in my manual, and there's nothing under the hood. Does anyone know a resource where I can find the diagram? I'm in the midst of trying to repair my vacuum lines, but I want to make sure I know where everything goes beforehand.

I would be GREATLY THANKFUL if there's any 2008 VW New Beetle owners that could post a photo of said diagram. Otherwise, a website repository will do.

Places I've checked:
1. FreeAutoMechanic: brings up a result, but the page fails to load due to an XML error (presumably the page is broken due to age)

2. AutoZone: this came from old-web forums as far back as 2000. I presume this was what AZ used to be used for, but this seems to not be the case anymore. No results for diagrams

3. AutoRepairManuals.biz: It's a paid option, and I'd rather know beforehand that they have what I need before buying. If anyone has used this, and can confirm that they have the diagram in question, I'll happily pay the subscription needed.

Once again, any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Yeah, free manuals; are just a huge .pdf and not user friendly. You might join eRWin for 24 hours, to download a official VW service manual in .pdf or a online manual service like a consumer level subscription, from AllData or Mitchell1. At this time, there are NO paper manuals available; that have been published and so, only service manual info, that has originally come from VW is available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, free manuals; are just a huge .pdf and not user friendly. You might join eRWin for 24 hours, to download a official VW service manual in .pdf or a online manual service like a consumer level subscription, from AllData or Mitchell1. At this time, there are NO paper manuals available; that have been published and so, only service manual info, that has originally come from VW is available.

Aaaah, alright then. I really appreciate all of these resources. I'll take a photo of my engine and such tomorrow. I'm getting error P0300, which I've read is just a generic cylinder misfire error. The AutoZone report suggested to inspect for faulty hoses.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
What scan tool, do you have access to and can it read live data? Aside, from the speedo cluster; how is the car running and are you having any problems?

I'm assuming, you have a 2.5L and a standard or auto transmission?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What scan tool, do you have access to and can it read live data? Aside, from the speedo cluster; how is the car running and are you having any problems?

I'm assuming, you have a 2.5L and a standard or auto transmission?
The scan tool was just whatever the Advanced Auto Parts (sorry, it wasn't AutoZone) used. It was their free engine checker device. It didn't read live data, just let them print out a list of recent error messages. I don't know what a speedo cluster is. There's an oil leak, but that's supposedly due to a different part that I've been told isn't worth the labor expenses to get fixed. I believe it is a 2.5L, yes. As far as transmission, I don't know. It can change gears automatically, if that's what you mean, but I can also set it the manual.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
There are specific common problems with the 2.5L engine; the oil leak, is typically the vacuum pump gaskets. These can be replaced and do not cost much. In the past, replacing the pump was the answer; now, you can just get the gasket repair kit and do it yourself for cheap.

The "speedo cluster", is the assembly; that has the gauges and the speedometer in it, that you are saying doesn't work.

For example: here is a video; showing the removal of the speedo cluster on a 2008 VW New Beetle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are specific common problems with the 2.5L engine; the oil leak, is typically the vacuum pump gaskets. These can be replaced and do not cost much. In the past, replacing the pump was the answer; now, you can just get the gasket repair kit and do it yourself for cheap.

The "speedo cluster", is the assembly; that has the gauges and the speedometer in it, that you are saying doesn't work.

For example: here is a video; showing the removal of the speedo cluster on a 2008 VW New Beetle:

I'm sorry, but I never said the speedometer or gauges didn't work. It's just that the engine sounds very faint, like there's something not firing properly.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
If you are having misfires and the car is idling badly or dying, you might have a vacuum leak from the PCV diaphragm, which can get a hole in it.

This is another part, that is reasonably priced and can be replaced easily by yourself:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding what your comment about the speedo cluster meant? Judging off of the other information you gave me, however, it might be the diaphragm. I'll discuss it with my stepdad in the afternoon tomorrow. He's not here today.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Sorry, someone else was having s speedo cluster problem and I got yours, theirs mixed up (attempting to answer multiple threads and problems). :)

If you are going to be doing your own repairs and keeping the car long term, you should consider investing in a VW specific factory level scan tool. This will enable you to read trouble codes, view live data and do advanced procedures, like a throttle body alignment, programming, etc.

These tools, would be: VCDS by Ross Tech ($199), OBDEleven ($65-$100+) and lesser quality knockoffs, like the many "VAG" scanners sold on amazon ($20--$150+).

The vw specific scan tool investment; will save you time and money, by enabling you to do your own repairs and the info it provides, can help us, help you, diagnose and repair your own Volkswagen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, someone else was having s speedo cluster problem and I got yours, theirs mixed up (attempting to answer multiple threads and problems). :)

If you are going to be doing your own repairs and keeping the car long term, you should consider investing in a VW specific factory level scan tool. This will enable you to read trouble codes, view live data and do advanced procedures, like a throttle body alignment, programming, etc.

These tools, would be: VCDS by Ross Tech ($199), OBDEleven ($65-$100+) and lesser quality knockoffs, like the many "VAG" scanners old on amazon ($20--$150+).

The vw specific scan tool investment; will save you time and money, by enabling you to do your own repairs and the info it provides, can help us, help you, diagnose and repair your own Volkswagen.
Ah, okay, thank you. I will take a look at these also.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
If you get to the point, you are thinking of purchasing a vw scan tool; please, let us know, your budget and what you want to do with it, we can help, guide you to the best one to buy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Do you need the vacuum hose diagram because you plan on replacing the hoses? Replacing them is a good idea because of age, if the hoses are all in their original place and position, just buy bulk hose of the correct diameter probably about 4-6 feet, and remove the old hoses one at a time put them next to the new hose and cut the new hose exactly the same length as the old one.

Only one hose at a time and you won’t need a diagram. Vacuum hose can be purchased at a local auto parts store in whatever length you want usually. It does come in more than one diameter and your car may have two different sizes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you need the vacuum hose diagram because you plan on replacing the hoses? Replacing them is a good idea because of age, if the hoses are all in their original place and position, just buy bulk hose of the correct diameter probably about 4-6 feet, and remove the old hoses one at a time put them next to the new hose and cut the new hose exactly the same length as the old one.

Only one hose at a time and you won’t need a diagram. Vacuum hose can be purchased at a local auto parts store in whatever length you want usually. It does come in more than one diameter and your car may have two different sizes.
I do, and I don't know if they're in the proper place at all. This car was used by a family member that bought it from my mom years ago. Is there a simple way to find out the hose diameter, or is just a matter of measuring it myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
If you think, you have a vacuum leak; try checking live data and your fuel trims, + or - 10% is considered in the normal range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts