NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small Car: Volkswagen Beetle

The Beetle’s cute looks and all-around appeal don’t save it from being on the least reliable list. Owners of the 2008 model told Consumer Reports that they had trouble with the climate control system and power equipment, both of which can lead to expensive repairs. The convertible model is selling for $19,350 on dealer’s lots according to the Kelley Blue Book web site.

5 Used Cars to Avoid (and 5 Better Alternatives) - Yahoo! Autos

Just thought I would pass this along.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Those articles have been around awhile, and posted all over the place. I don't pay much attention to them.

I've had very few problems with my 2000 New Beetle. It's been a heck of a lot more reliable than either of my Toyotas.

I'll continue to ignore this stuff, and enjoy my New Beetle. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I read that article too. The point of these articles is not to say that ALL NB have these problems. The point is that enough of them DO, in surveys or whatever, to be included on a list of the most unreliable cars. If we, the buying public choose to purchase anyway, it is with that caveat. I bought my NB previously owned and at a very good price. I looked on line and read the history of the NB before I purchased. I knew the problems. I looked through all the receipts of the previous owner and saw that she had done the recall stuff on the '99. So... I took a chance that that this car would last a while. Whatever use I get out of it, if she dies will be worth the price I paid. I will not be doing expensive upgrades to her, though. I have enjoyed driving the NB, it is a fun car. But I have said on these posts before and I will say it again. I am old enough to have driven three "Old School" Veedubs before. The NB was not made to last like the old ones. They are fun and cute and I sure enjoy it. But I don't live in lala land about the durability of the NB. Unless the NEW 2012 NB turns out to be a step up in durability and VW of A decides not to cut corners everywhere, I will be purchasing a Mini Cooper or another really cute but extremely well made vehicle. In the meantime, I can be seen driving all over Hollywood in my "White Lightning" with the vinyl signs on the doors! :D

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Well I guess they weren't privy to all of the Toyota recalls as well as other problems of other so-called reliable imports.

Regardless of brand, it's always buyer beware. Like in everything, the few (even if enough of them) seem to be the model for the sum which shouldn't be the case.

·
I love my Butterkup baby!
489 Posts
Well I guess they weren't privy to all of the Toyota recalls as well as other problems of other so-called reliable imports.

Regardless of brand, it's always buyer beware. Like in everything, the few (even if enough of them) seem to be the model for the sum which shouldn't be the case.
I totally agree. I hate these things & people always make sure to tell me that my car made the least relaible list. I DON'T CARE! I love my car to death & it's been great to me. Yes, i've fixed my share of things, but I have a 2002, and with the exception of an alternator & the evaporator core, I believe everything else was wear & tear. My car has kept me safe in my first drive in actual snow, I was terrified, but Butterkup was AMAZING in the snow, I was actually crying tears of joy to get home from school while it was snowing, I was so proud of my little car! :) Wouldn't trade her for the world!

·
Custom User Title >.>
57 Posts
I know that my NB doesn't have snow tires or anything, but last bit of snow and ice we got around here... Never again will I take my NB out in snow and ice.

Maybe its simply that I just don't like FWD in the snow when I know that them be the tires that point the car too!

At any rate, I use the '69 Bug for the ice and snow, even with summer tires have zero issues with getting around.. Yanno, with the exception of having to hang some de-icer and spray on the windscreen occasionally while driving down the road. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts