VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a 2008 beetle for my daughter. This is an automatic with the 5 cyl 2.5 engine. Do these newer models still have the issues with the trans valve body? What about the engine, do the timing belts still need replacing every 75k like the 2.0?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The 2.5L has a timing chain; there were failure problems with the tensioner but that was in the early 06-07? engines (later, they revised the design; these were less failure prone). The timing chains; do need to be replaced as well, at some point (the tensioners and chain, DO NOT last forever). Some have said; in the 100k to 150k time frame, VW does not have a service interval for them. If and when they do break; they can cause a catastrophic failure (sometimes; requiring a engine replacement), so replacing it when the chain is loose and the guides are worn, is recommended and crucial. As for the transmission; I believe you would have the 09G trip tronic 6 speed transmission; they also, have valve body issues as well. So, your 2008 sounds good; aside, from the potential of having to repair the transmission and the possible fix, being the valve body. I would prefer a 5 speed manual; for durability but if you really want a auto, just have the whole car professionally checked out and make sure it is in correct working order. From what we are seeing around here; it is a case of "when", you are going to transmission issues in a VW, not a matter of "if". With that in mind; if you do purchase the car; I would service the transmission regularly; put in a new filter and fluid, that has been known, to increase the longevity of the transmission. VW marketed the cars; as having a "lifetime fill" for the transmission; this has been shown, to not be true and may contribute, to the failures on these (all fluids; get old and break down, over time).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts