NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a noob - I have a 2009 NB and I live in New England where snow is an issue. I downsized the regular 205/55/16 summer tire to 195/55/16 All-season (a little narrower for better traction in deeper snow). Now my tire-pressure light is on and won't go away. Is there a way to either re-calibrate or disable the sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Always start with the simple stupid stuff.

Did you check the tire pressures ? If the pressures are good then maybe one of the sensors got damaged while changing tires ?

·
Registered
950 Posts
- Tire pressure is in fact low. Measure and fill your tires when you have not driven for several hours. The indicated inflation values on your Beetle (found in the driver's door on a sticker or on the gas door on a sticker) are for cold tire pressure. Warm gasses expand, cold gasses contract. So if you fill a warm tire, when it cools down the pressure is going to drop.

- TPMS was not correctly reconnected after changing the tires.

- TPMS is not meant to be a replacement for a tire gauge and proper maintenance. Inspect your tires weekly or before any major trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- Tire pressure is in fact low. Measure and fill your tires when you have not driven for several hours. The indicated inflation values on your Beetle (found in the driver's door on a sticker or on the gas door on a sticker) are for cold tire pressure. Warm gasses expand, cold gasses contract. So if you fill a warm tire, when it cools down the pressure is going to drop.

- TPMS was not correctly reconnected after changing the tires.

- TPMS is not meant to be a replacement for a tire gauge and proper maintenance. Inspect your tires weekly or before any major trip.
Thanks much for the quick feedback. The tire pressures are at spec. Tires were filled cold. Is there a process for TPMS disconnection prior to changing tires?

Thanks

LAR

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
The sensors are inside the tire/wheel at the valvestem. The sensor sends its signal via radio waves, just like the ones you can buy as add-ons. There is no procedure that needs be done when dismounting/mounting tires (except not to break the sensor). No telling which one is reading bad, and I don't know an easy way of testing each sensor. Might try inflating each tire to 60 psi or so, one at a time to see if the light will go out. After overinflating each tire, I think you will have to turn the igniton key off and back on to reset the light once it has illuminated. And 60 psi won't hurt the tire, just don't drive the car with the tires overinflated. You might also jack each wheel up and spin it to see if the sensor was knocked loose or something.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
VAG-COM may allow you to check each sensor, but I'm not sure. No TPMS for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts