NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 09 nbc with the famous headlight issue. Hers do not blow out but come on or off over bumps etc. Before shecstarts her car it is now routine to hit each headlight with her palm to turn the lights on :-( I have read some stuff about changing the "harnesses" but it seems this is for 2006 and earlier. Any of you experts out there know if this is the fix for those newer than 2006?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not sure what years but this is common on the NB...all years have poor wiring IMO. I would check the wiring harness and maybe even try putting dielectric grease on the contacts. Also check your ground wire(s) for damage or a loose connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, but been there done that... after playing around with it A LOT I think that the issues is with the connector on the car side inside the plastic holder that connection is not "snapping" into place on the headlight side. I have removed the connector from the car and plugged it into the light and there are 2 distinct feels when pushing it on. I have decided that if it happens again that I am going to break out where the connector fits into the car and just attach the connector directly to the light before sliding it in.

Probably make NO sense unless you have had this thing a part...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did what you said. It appears that sometime during its life under a previous owner, the bulb was replaced. Who ever slid the light assembly in bent the piece that holds the connector. It was cracked and allowing the connector to pop out. If I was the manager of the engineer that designed that headlight assembly, I would fire him immediately. Anyways, I needed to cut away the plastic to get the connector to seat. I have now noticed another issue, the headlight assembly will not stay seated in the outer housing. I am getting pretty ticket off. I may figure out how to had a j-nut and screw to lock it in place.

The wife is looking at another new beetle I am thinking about getting a couple of headlight changes in the contract.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts