NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to track down a power drain problem on my 2009 NB (purchased used a few months ago) and ended up shorting out one of the 12V accessory ports, which caused a fuse to blow and disabled both ports. However, I can't figure out which fuse blew. From other posts on this forum I found the full fuse box diagram and it said that it should be a 15A fuse in slot 41, but my car doesn't have a fuse in that slot at all. I temporarily tried putting the 15A fuse for the heated seats there instead, but that didn't make the accessory ports start working again.

So, I'm guessing there's something weird about my particular trim package or the like?

There are quite a few other fuses that are just plain missing but all of them make sense - they're ones which are listed either as "future option" or only apply to the automatic transmission model (mine's a manual).

Also: what style of fuses go into the Beetle? I can't find any information anywhere about which ones it takes. Obviously it takes one large type and one small type, but what actual kind are they?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering more about the large fuses, not the small ones. Mini flat fuses only come in one shape but the large ones have a bunch of different types out there. Also I'd rather just buy on Amazon where it's way cheaper. :) I'll probably head to AutoZone at some point though.

As far as which fuse is blown, I've pulled most of them at this point and haven't found one that is melted, so my worry is that there might be a fuse hidden inside the console or something. So I was hoping someone else here had run into a similar issue.

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
I'm not totally clear; on all the fuse types, you are referring to but check out the Bussmann website. There are a number of types and this is a classic company, that I have always found to have hard to find VW fuses:

Automotive electrical aftermarket

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two types of fuse in the Beetle's fuse box: tiny "mini-blade" fuses (fuses 1-23), and larger full-size fuses (24-44). It's the full-size ones that I'm trying to figure out what kind they are, since the owner's manual doesn't say, and there are several different styles of full-size fuses out there (ABN, ATM, ATC, ATO, etc.).

Oh, and Auto Zone seems to only carry giant collections of every kind of fuse under the sun for like $200. I don't need $200 worth of fuses. (I'm sure if I actually go to the store they'll have something more reasonable but the nearest one is pretty out of the way for me.)

·
Super Moderator
5,354 Posts
The big ones should be the ATO style fuse. Autozone and everywhere else should have smaller packs of fuses too, generally around $5 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, so the fuse box listing I found several places online was incorrect. Hopefully this updated one is helpful to others. This is based on a combination of the owner's guide, the fuse box listing, and this fuse listing that I just found; some of the fuses that were already in my car were incorrect but my hopeful speculation is that the previous owners had blown a couple fuses and "temporarily" swapped them around for a short-term fix.

Note that this is for my manual transmission. Automatic transmissions have a 20 amp/yellow in slot 31.

Also, the owner's manual calls out 35 being for tail lights, but my car doesn't have that fuse but I'm pretty sure the tail lights are working fine. The justanswer page doesn't show there being any use for that fuse either. But I'll put a fuse there just to be safe.

Another weird thing is that my car is NOT equipped with fog lights, but does have a fuse in slot 36. I'm just going to leave it in there to be safe.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts