VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. I am seriously considering trading in my Hyundai Sonata SE (2011) for this car. I have never owned a VW but am very concerned about the cost to maintain as
well as other problems after reading various blogs, etc.... Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this model? What are pressing issues in the 2010 model?

I'm a VW newbie and just undecided. Also the white interior may be a havoc to clean.......:confused:

I love the car but don't want to make a BIG mistake!!

I look forward to your replies

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The 2010 will have many of the issues previous years models had worked out.
2.5 L 5 cylinder motor with timing chain instead of belt.
No flaps for the roof mechanism.
I don't know if they still have the lock mecahnism issues for the windows going down to allow teh doors to not rub on the top.

That said it is a vw and they have a ton of electronics in them. Good independant mechanics are hard to find, and yes you need a good VW mechanic as they know the cars idioscrecies which save diagnosis time and you money on repairs.
With proper maintenance it should last a long time.
They are fun little cars but the decision is yours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No help........

I am surprised more people do not own this particular car. I was hoping for some feedback and have searched everywhere and found little help. The most I have found out is that Beetles seem to be unreliable cars, always break down and are in the shop, cost tons of money to fix and use tons of gas. Hmmmm, sounds kind of like a pc of junk. I am very disappointed. Thanks for your reply.:confused::confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Where are you getting that information? I had a '99 and it was rarely in the shop for things other than regular maintenance. I had it towed twice in the 6 1/2 years I owned it, and one was mostly my fault (busted the oil pan). I've had VW's for almost 10 years now and they have been great for me. But I keep them maintained, which is the key. You can't slack on the maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts