VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes - i have read ALL the threads pertaining to this.

here is the story

purchased a 2010 VW beetle from the dealership in late august 2015
when we purchased it, the ignition was sticky and they replaced it as part of the purchase agreement. it was replaced mid September when the parts came in.

fast forward to mid October, it started sticking again. this time they replaced another ignition part and this time i asked for the old part back. they replaced this:

now - here we are end of November and we are back to square one. cant budge the wheel. so jiggling the wheel and turning doesn't always prove successful. the wheels are straight. we are frustrated. wife cant spend 15 minutes trying to get her beetle to start. it happens maybe 20% of the time (locking up)

what are my options? I sent a strong worded email to the dealership and I'll follow up with a phone call, but really - what can I do?

will WD-40 or Graphite help in anyway? the dealership tells me the key is fine.

very frustrated and looking for help.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, VW parts have a warranty; so, if the part is defective, it should be replaced under that warranty. They should make it right; since, they installed it. If you do not get anywhere and they refuse or unable to resolve the issue; I would contact VW Customer care, which you might want to do anyway to log the problem. You need to escalate the problem to VW Customer Care; if you do not get anywhere and possibly, try another vw dealership if they cannot fix it or consider legal claims/lemon laws if they do not ultimately, resolve the problem. Lemon laws; vary from state to state but typically, it seems the dealership gets a number of attempts to fix the problem and then, the laws kicks in (I do not know; if this, applies to used cars). Again, seeking legal counsel is a good idea and ultimately, talking to a VW regional representative of your area, is typically how these things get resolved. Getting these cars repaired and working correctly; can really be a challenge sometimes, especially with a vw dealership who cannot diagnose problems correctly or just are not, customer service oriented. Do you have; any other VW dealerships in the area, aside from the one you are currently dealing with?

VW CUSTOMER CARE: call, use online chat or email them here:

Contact Us

FULL PARTS WARRANTY STATEMENT:

Appendix: Warranty Statements | Volkswagen Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty Page 228
Volkswagen of America, Inc. Warranty Policies and Procedures 09/11
6.7 VOLKSWAGEN PARTS AND ACCESSORIES LIMITED WARRANTY
The following terms of warranty apply to all new or factory-remanufactured parts and accessories sold
by authorized Volkswagen dealers.
LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW AND FACTORY-REMANUFACTURED PARTS AND
ACCESSORIES
Issued by Volkswagen of America, Inc., an operating unit of Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
("Volkswagen")
FREE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF DEFECTIVE PARTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR 1 YEAR OR 12,000 MILES,
WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST
Volkswagen warrants that every new and factory-remanufactured part and accessory, (excluding tires
and batteries) which is imported or distributed by Volkswagen and sold as a new or factoryremanufactured
part or accessory to a retail customer or authorized dealer, will be free from defects in
material and workmanship under normal use and service for 1 year after the date of delivery of the
part or accessory to the customer or until the vehicle in which the part or accessory is installed has
been driven 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. This warranty is transferable to subsequent owners
free of charge.
If the defective part or accessory was installed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer and the vehicle is
brought during this period to the workshop of any authorized Volkswagen dealer, the dealer will,
without charge, either repair or replace it with a new or factory-remanufactured part or accessory.
If the defective part or accessory was sold "Over-the-Counter", the dealer will, without charge, repair
the part or accessory or furnish a new or remanufactured part or accessory. The labor required to
remove the defective part or accessory and to install the new or remanufactured part or accessory is
not reimbursable.
If a part is installed in a vehicle after the New Vehicle Warranty period has expired, that part is
warranted for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. If the replaced part fails, the new
part will also receive a 12-month or 12,000 mile warranty, whichever occurs first.
If a part is installed during the New Vehicle Warranty period (as a warranted replacement part), the
part is covered for the remainder of the New Vehicle Warranty period, or for 12 months or 12,000
miles, whichever is greater.
If an accessory (e.g., roof rack, MDI box, alloy wheels) is installed prior to New Vehicle delivery, it is
covered for the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.
If an accessory is installed by a Volkswagen authorized dealer, during the New Vehicle Limited
Warranty period, it is covered for the greater of:
 the remainder of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period, or
 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first
Electrical parts and electronic components are subject to inspection by Volkswagen and, if found to be
damaged due to improper installation or handling by an unauthorized repair facility, cannot be
Appendix: Warranty Statements | Volkswagen Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty Page 229
Volkswagen of America, Inc. Warranty Policies and Procedures 09/11
accepted for warranty reimbursement. For details about the Battery Limited Warranty, see your
Volkswagen Parts or Service Professional.
DAMAGE AND MALFUNCTIONS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY
Volkswagen is not responsible for damage or malfunctions resulting from:
 misuse, negligence, alteration, modification, environmental damage, accident or fire;
 improper repair of the vehicle or damage due to improper installation or diagnosis;
 use of the part or accessory in a vehicle used for a competitive purpose; or
 failure to follow recommended maintenance intervals and requirements.
WEAR AND TEAR, AND MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE ITEMS NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY
This warranty does not cover wear and tear items such as clutch linings, brake pads/shoes, brake
linings, windshield wiper blades, fuses, radio tape head cassette cleaning, worn seat covers and other
trim and appearance items that wear as a result of normal use, lack or normal care, or deterioration.
Except where specifically required as part of a repair covered by warranty, maintenance and service
items are at the expense of the owner.
NO OTHER WARRANTIES MADE
This warranty is in lieu of all other express warranties of Volkswagen, the Manufacturer, and the
selling dealer for new or factory-remanufactured parts and accessories. Any implied warranty,
including any implied warranty of merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, is
limited to the duration of this written warranty.
Neither Volkswagen nor the Manufacturer assumes, or authorizes any person to assume on its behalf,
any other obligation or liability.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation
may not apply to you.
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE EXCLUDED
Volkswagen is not responsible for incidental or consequential damage, including lost profits or
earnings, or out-of-pocket expenses for substitute transportation or lodging. Some states do not allow
the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may
not apply to you.
OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS
This warranty also gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from
state to state.
Warranty information may be obtained by phoning 1-800-822-8987, or by writing to:
Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Customer CARE Center
3499 West Hamlin Road
Rochester Hills, MI 48309

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there are other dealerships, but i think I am stuck with my current dealership and the warranty is offered through them.

I suppose I can try another dealership and get a PO# from my current dealership and have them invoiced.

i'll keep you posted to see if my emails/calls to the dealership will have any effect on my situation

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
As I said; contact vw customer care, log the problem and if you don't get anywhere, contact your vw regional representative. When you deal with the VW regional rep; you are dealing with corporate Volkswagen of America and not your local VW dealer. I had a car; that could not get fixed that I had purchased new and it was only until, I dealt with the VW rep, that anything got resolved (in my case; the car was bought back by VW of America). Before it gets to that point; I would also, seek legal counsel, so you have ammunition when communicating with the VW rep. In my case; I told them, I was going to seek a lemon law proceedings, I had "lost faith" in the vehicle, I did not want it anymore and asked if they could help, before I went that route. At that point; they realized I was serious and VW bought the car back, gave me market value for the car (adjusted for time owned/used). In my case; I used the money I got back, to buy a different and newer Beetle.

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves; log the issue with VW customer care, so they are aware of what is going on and try to get the problem resolved at the dealer level. If you don't get anywhere; escalate and I would recommend, dealing with your regional vw rep. Good luck and let us know; how the situation progresses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i chatted with VW customer care - they will have a regional manager call me with in 24 hrs. and they gave me a case number

The dealership also called, and they are taking another look at it this Thursday afternoon.

i told them I don't want it back until its fixed. I cant really be made at the dealership - they ARE doing all they can.

what frustrated me the most was the last time they said "we changed out all the applicable parts, its just one of those things. beetles are known to do this"

that doesnt set well with me

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Good, you are on the right track: with Customer Care, case # logged, dealer working on it and the regional rep on the case. Let us know; how things go, as things progress through your repair issues. From my own experience with repair problems with Volkswagen; you are doing everything right, now lets see what they do for you and how they resolve your problems. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, dropped off the beetle last night to the dealership after hours. when I left, i tried to use the cylinder lock and it was stuck.

this morning, the tech went out to pull the car in and admitted it was stuck, but said by tugging on the steering wheel, he was then able to start the car.

this was at 2:30 pm. they are still playing with it trying to get it to lock up.

I know they wont be able too. They are telling me that Beetles are known to do this. its just part of the "wheel lock system"

i got the feeling I am going to get hosed on this deal. The VW regional manager called me, and i missed it. he mentioned he is awaiting the dealership to respond to the claim. I called him back and told him of these events via voicemail.

at this point, I am not sure what to expect, if anything. I don't think this is "normal" for ANY vehicle. and I find it unacceptable.

not sure what to do next.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, as noted; these later models are known to have this problem but the question, is whether or not, they can repair it to your satisfaction. If not and you do not want to keep the vehicle; then, I would see what options you have legally through a possible lemon law and see, what the VW regional rep has to offer you, in the way of options. Ultimately, you have to decide; if you want to work with the vehicle, get it repaired to your satisfaction or get rid of it, move on to something else.

I know occasionally; my steering lock will jam, I will then move the steering wheel (back/forth) and it will remove the pressure, from the steering lock, then I can turn the key to start the car. Note: this only happens occasionally and I am able to free up the lock cylinder/key without a problem. I also, had some issues with the my lock cylinder jamming; that seemed to be related to the wear of the cylinder itself, which I replaced and that problem went away. What I would wonder is; did they replace the lock cylinder, in addition to the steering lock or just transfer the old one (lock cylinder) into the new one? I think, the assembly, can be purchased with or without the lock cylinder and the ignition switch. There are three parts the the system is composed of: the steering lock, the lock cylinder and the ignition switch on the end. I ended up replacing the key tumbler and electrical switch but not the steering lock. My lock cylinder and electrical switch; must have been heavily worn after 10 years, after I installed the new parts, it was much easier to turn and getting the key to turn/jam, was less of an problem.

To understand the parts I referring to; look at this parts diagram from Volkswagen's parts website:

It is composed of (3) parts:

1. lock cylinder #9 (the part you insert; your key into)
2. steering lock #6
3. ignition switch #8

http://parts.vw.com/parts/2010/Volk...cleid=302747&diagram=9210280&diagramCallOut=8 (link for 2010 New Beetle)

Now, finding the actual reason; why this is happening, could require disassembling the actual part and this could be a manufacturing defect or other issue. It's possible; the part itself has a design flaw/problem, that has not been revised or resolved and no matter how many new parts installed, will not fix this annoying issue. On the other hand; there maybe other parts, that could be causing the problem in addition to the steering lock (e.g.: lock cylinder: who knows)? We have had other members with the same exact same problem as you and the replacement of same part, fixed the problem successfully. It would be interesting to know; if Volkswagen has revised the part and if the part that was installed on your car, was revised or not.

If you were on your own with the repair and were stuck with the car, I would investigate things further and inspect the part, to figure out the problem, possibly try to fix it yourself.

As it is; you have the dealer and vw on the hook, you just need to decide if you want to continue to work through the repair or get rid of the car.

Keep us informed; as your repairs and decisions, about what to do move forward.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
regional manager from VW just called - he informed me that the car is operating with-in specifications. so, basically - i have to deal with it.

i guess i will instruct the wife to not park the car with the wheels turned. which is absolutely ludicrous, but what can ya do?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, after much discussion last night, we got a friend of the family who is a lawyer involved.

my wife and I cannot get passed the idea that we are being told "just wiggle the steering wheel and she'll fire right up"

if we wanted a car like that, we would have bought a $300 clunker from craigslist.

I cant believe that ANY car manufacturer would expect a car owner to play "fonzie" to get their car started.

up until now, i can count on one hand the number of times a lock cylinder has locked up on me.

the past 3 months - i have lost count.

extremely frustrated

billymade - based on your picture - they replaced parts #6 (i have the old one) and I believe #9 - they never gave me the part from the first repair.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, there is the mechanical aspect of the car and there is the... "do I want this car", aspect. You have come down; to where you need to be, you made a decision about how you feel about the situation!

I had to do the same thing with my car; when, the VW rep realized, that no matter what he said, I did not want the car.... then, things got done! This particular rep; had similar excuses about my problem (second gear; would grind; even after a whole trans rebuild), which became pretty insulting but you just need to be firm, not be verbally abusive or necessarily rude but state your case firmly, go from there. He actually told me that my legs were too short and I needed to move the seat forward; nice response, huh? This same vw rep, later; when trying to get other warranty repairs done on the next car I bought (that needed his approval), continued to harass me after the buyback was done and told me that next owners of my buybacked car never had the problems I had (he was really a jackass)! LOL! That twerp; seemed to take things personally and couldn't let it go; which I thought was bizarre and very unprofessional. My feeling was similar to you; there is a problem with this car, you cannot fix it and I am unwilling to live with a defective product! It is not my problem; that your cars have issues! LOL! :)

Now, that a lawyer might be involved; that aspect of things, maybe dealt with through him. I never got to that point but I did tell them at the time; I would be pursuing a lemon law suit; related to the car and the rep. gave me a buy back/refund of the adjusted purchase price offer, at that point, after reviewing all the problems, piles of service receipts I had, etc. etc. I just basically said; I was going with the lemon law legal route, before I do that would you like a opportunity to work with me on, this situation? I think, most times; it is cheaper for them to settle out of court but I guess, it depends on the rep and what the climate at VW of America is at right now. When, I did this buyback; it was a long time ago, around 2002 so I haven't heard how VW is dealing with things currently.

Now, you can move forward and come to a conclusion; to the situation. I hope; you can come to a solution, that is satisfactory to you and you can move on from this frustrating experience. I would use the magic words; I have "lost faith" in the vehicle and you no longer, want the car as it leaves you unable to use it and stranded with a locked steering wheel/ignition switch.

Let us know; how things go, as your legal proceedings or dealings with VW corporate or the dealer, move forward. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"lost faith" - that's the exact terms my wife used. she emailed everyone last night. I cannot pursue lemon laws as the car is used.

i will be calling the VW rep back and let him know how I feel. this situation existed from the day we test drove the car. the salesperson even had a hard time starting it. however, they said they would fix it, and they attempted to 3x now.

when i was getting my paper work, the sales person who sold me my car drove up, went to the desk and i heard him say "these people are really interested in this car (the one he pulled up, not sure what it was) but the SES light is on. can we get it fixed so I can sell the car?"

I was like WTH??? Why was the thing even on the lot with the SES light on??? So much for them inspecting cars prior to hitting the lot.

and to answer your question - we LOVE the car. its fun to drive - when it starts. we want to keep it - IF they can repair it properly. if they cannot repair it - then let me trade for something similar in value that will work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so, tomorrow my wife and I have a meeting with the OWNER of the dealership. he wants to keep the car a few days and drive it himself to experience this issue. we get a free loaner during the process. so, when we get there, we will show him how it locks.

i conducted an experiment this weekend using the following vehicles i own:

2002 Firebird
2004 Chevy Venture
2010 GMC Acadia
2010 Beetle

all of them have wheel lock, regardless of the position of the wheel. however NONE of them locked me out for an extended period of time like the beetle does. on all my other vehicles, i simply turned the key with a little pressure and the wheel unlocked and the car starts. NO JERKING OR JIGGLING OF THE STEERING WHEEL REQUIRED. now, mind you I had to DELIBERATELY lock the wheel to conduct the experiment. the Beetle locks ALL ON ITS OWN. my other three cars I had to manually lock the wheel. The Beetle was the only one where jiggling of the wheel was necessary to get it to start.

i may make a video on my phone of this and show it to the owner of the dealership.

anyway, as asked, keeping you in the loop.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, as noted before; you are NOT alone with this problem, it is a known issue. Let us know; the results, of your meeting with the dealership owner. Good luck and I hope things turn out well. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree its a known issue. i just wish we were made aware of this issue prior to buying. the day we went to test drive it, we had an issue. salesperson had it looked at, and it was noted it was needing replacement. as part of the purchase agreement, we were promised it would be fixed. <-- that right there is the issue. at that point, it should have been told to us that this is a known issue.

had we known that, we would have looked at other vehicles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dealership called me. they want me to bring the car to them on the 16th. on that date their regional VW mechanic will be there. he is suppose to be the guru of all gurus.

they told me that this guy has never heard of this problem. he suspects it might be something electrical. so, this may be good news for us.
will let ya know how things are in a week.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts