NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got to test drive a beetle today.

It was a Tornado Red 2.5l with Fender sound system and Nav. Sadly no sunroof :(

Here is how it went:

Keys were handed to me and I got to take it for a spin, however I was a little confused on how to start the darn thing. Push button start is such a new concept to me. Tried to stick the key in the normal ignition spot like my old car. I felt so silly. Had to ask the sales guy "Dallas" how to start it :p

Started up in first turn over. (kinda wonder how this works as the car ages and a few more cranks are necessary).
I adjusted my mirrors and noticed that the rear view mirror is noticeably smaller than the old one. Not a fan of that :( Side mirrors in pictures looked decent sized as well, but I think they are a touch smaller to. Not good :( But I still found it tolerable.

Moving on I noticed that the 2.5l engine "feels" quite a bit more sluggish compared to my old 1.8t. I was kinda disappointed. Then my sales guy pointed out there was a sport mode. Oooo okay, lets try that out. (just so you know you can switch to sport mode while driving, it was a concern of mine as I was trying to pull over to do it)

OH, man what a difference. It downshifts much sooner and really get up and goes! it's still not a turbo, but sport mode was by far, in my opinion worth the sacrifice of getting a "new" car, but saving a bit of cash by not getting turbo.

Needless to say I did not, go back to regular drive for the rest of the trip!

Next was the instrument cluster, very nice. You have a compass, trip odometer, range you have left on tank, mpg, tire pressure and a few more things I can't remember. Oh and it displays radio station, song playing. I wish I thought to hook up my iPhone to see if it would display the song titles and I could control it from the steering wheel!

Another cool thing was the lights around the speakers in the doors! You can change colors for them to Red, Blue or White by the dimmer light. Very quirky, but cool feature.

After the drive I found some of the finer differences in the style. The Door no longer has a frame over it. When you open the door the window comes down a 1/4 of an inch and when shut it comes back up to keep wind noise down. It's kinda like a convertible style door but with a hard top!

Gas cap no longer opens by a button in the car, as long as the car door is unlocked you push down on it and it pops up! But locks so that won't happen when car security alarm is armed. This is far more functional to me than the B1 which relied on the gasp cap metal retainer to pop open. I lost mine in an accident and tried in vain to get a replacement :p There is no part number for it. So I had the Get out, place credit card under lid, run back to drivers door and pop gas lid. Then fill up car. Such a pain, but it worked.

Spare tire is unfortunately been reduced to a donut. I was told it was to cut costs and increase storage space. Which it does do a nice job increasing the hatch storage. In fact storage all around can be found in the strangest of places. There is a storage compartment that slides out to the lower left of the steering wheel. In case in pictures you wondered what that handle was. Little cut outs in the console area for change and on the dash. The glovebox is especially huge and I'm sure everybody knows abut the extra storage above the glovebox behind the dash. I like the Old Beetle touch! The dash itself is much shallower and the nose got longer. Looks like the engine compartment ate up some of that huge dash. Which is a plus to me! lol

Wanted to look at the engine and had a little difficulty lifting the hood! I thought wow this hood is heavy! It was not my imagination. They did not include springs to prop the hood up, it is hinge and a prop to hold it up! :p That I thought was kinda lame to cut costs on :p Engine compartment though has noticeably more space in it. Air intake looks to come from the front instead of from the underneath and in from the side. Battery compartment seems to be at first made of this strange felt stuff. But in reality it is a electric blanket to keep the battery warm during the winter!

Nice! I hated that hard plastic cover when it came time to change out the battery. Service department banged the crap out of it anyway and it was busted in many places after taking the battery in and out. I'm glad they changed this. Engine ran extremely quiet. Which brings me to my next realization. The sound dampener under the hood was gone, just bare metal!

It really doesn't need it, but I was surprised it wasn't there!

Moving to the rear seats, there was noticably more head room for my rear seat passengers! definately a plus. Also the seats split and I don't have to take the headrests out, but I didn't like how the seats don't fold down flush with the floor quite as well as my b1 turbo did :(

Oh and the turn signal, wowee I couldnt tell it was on! No more loud ticking, in fact it doesn't tick at all when the turn signal is on. I found this a bit disconcerting. The turn signal also has a bump push mode, that if you lightly tap it will blink the corresponding blinker 3 times. Salesmen called it push n' pass. Another quirky feature.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the car. I am definately getting one.

I still need to investigate Toffee Brown and Denim blue. I don't know what color I am going to get yet.

It is very sad that I lost my B1 turbo in an accident. But the updated interior and new body style really is winning me over!

Let me know if you guys have questions about the car, I know I left a few things out to keep this from being too long lol

I can say, that I could not stop smiling while driving :D Not sure if Red's my color, but I liked the car. Aside from the fact it had no sunroof, and I could care less about the navigation system. Save me the extra $2000! It's a waste of money!

I apologize for the Crit' for Huge Wall o' Text! lol (Those of you that are MMO players or dungeon and dragons know what I'm talking about ;) )

Edit: Added pictures. Sorry for quality and selection, it is an iPhone4 and wife doesn't have the zeal that I do for the Beetle! lol I was, well to busy oogling to even think about operating a camera! lol

Picture summaries:
Pic1: This me being dork trying to figure out Push button start :p
Pic2: Me at the wheel actually driving one! SO EXCITING!
Pic3: Nav Radio and colored dash
Pic4: Sales guy "Dallas" and me trying to figure out how to turn on the lighted speakers on the door.
Pic5: Full shot of Dash from outside the car
Pic6: Closer view of the Main Menu for Nav Radio
Pic7: Me unable to wipe the Perma-grin off my face! Red is growing on me, but I gotta see me some Blue and Toffee Brown before I make my decision!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
You've got to bring it to ToD next year, so we can all drool over it:D

I really love the fact that the 2.5 has a timing chain, and not the stinking timing belt:bigthumb:

I stopped by our local dealer a couple weeks ago, just to sit inside. I love how the rear view mirror is still positioned at a great spot. I gives you an open feel. You don't feel as if the rvm is blocking your line of sight.

Liking your reviews too. The wife-unit and I will check it out this weekend.

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give me a few more minutes and I'll have the pictures my wife took from her iPhone! Still wish I tested out the radio with the iPhone :(

Ah well gives me a reason to go back and test drive again! lol

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
Give me a few more minutes and I'll have the pictures my wife took from her iPhone! Still wish I tested out the radio with the iPhone :(

Ah well gives me a reason to go back and test drive again! lol
i did notice on my initial lookover, that the iPod cable is in the glove box... just dangling there. I would've thought there would be some kind of cradle for it. Guess that's no biggie, and nothing a trip to Best Buy won't fix:D

I think I'll take my iPod to our Saturday test drive:)

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
My Passat and Touareg both had the one push, three blink pass feature. I was so used to that, I keep trying it with my NB. It doesn't work..... :eek:

I have two VW dealers ready to call me when they see the first next gen Beetle arrive. :D I will have my review them.

Thanks for the detailed test drive. I will look at many of the things. :)

·
Super Moderator
20,823 Posts
I also test drove a 2.5; here's the link:

VWVortex.com - Just test drove a 2012 Beetle 2.5
Cool- thanks for the link:bigthumb:

After viewing some of the comments, I still see over on the Tex, that there's still the textbook, beetle haters, steeped in their sight unseen stigmas of calling the 2012 a chick car. I'm amazed at how some approach such a good looking car with a preconceived narrow-minded bias/view. Thank goodness there's good folk, such as yourself, as well as others on the Tex, that give hope that all of the Tex'ers aren't that way.

·
rawr
36 Posts
WOW. :D

I really loved reading about your experience!

After I lost my 1.8t I ended up buying a Honda, but I've been thinking recently that when I start seeing the 2012 Beetles around here I'm definitely going to go for a test drive.

Maybe some years down the line I'll buy one of these. It'll be old news by then but I've put it in my mind already that one day I'll own another NB...

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW. :D

I really loved reading about your experience!

After I lost my 1.8t I ended up buying a Honda, but I've been thinking recently that when I start seeing the 2012 Beetles around here I'm definitely going to go for a test drive.

Maybe some years down the line I'll buy one of these. It'll be old news by then but I've put it in my mind already that one day I'll own another NB...
Thanks, did try to add that personal experience and excitement for getting to drive one. Coming from a turbo the 2.5 is sluggish in comparison with the low RPM torque. The stuff that gives it the get up and go off the line!
The first years colors don't speak to me either except for Reef Blue. But since it is turbo only color, it's a bit out of my price range. So I'm looking at getting 2.5.

I hope the first impressions and things I noticed as differences really helps some fellow Org'ers make a decision! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've test-driven a 2.5L and looked at a 2.0T. VW did a good job on the styling. Overall, it's a nice improvement that needs some improvement. Here are some of the things I don't like...

1. Rear bench doesn't fold flat.
2. Wind noise at 60+ MPH... I've not compared it to the NB but it may sound as loud or louder. Disappointing!
3. Damn heavy hood w/o pressurized lifters.
4. Duct tape size band on the door pockets look good but not as functional as a net.
5. No leatherette on Turbo version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've test-driven a 2.5L and looked at a 2.0T. VW did a good job on the styling. Overall, it's a nice improvement that needs some improvement. Here are some of the things I don't like...

1. Rear bench doesn't fold flat.
2. Wind noise at 60+ MPH... I've not compared it to the NB but it may sound as loud or louder. Disappointing!
3. Damn heavy hood w/o pressurized lifters.
4. Duct tape size band on the door pockets look good but not as functional as a net.
5. No leatherette on Turbo version.
None of my backseats ('03,'07, '09) have folded flat, even with the "seat" of the seats pulled forward.

·
←Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that may be true. The 2012 is definitely worse in this category!

Since the bottom of the seat does not fold up. The seat does not even remotely fold flat enough to put anything on top of it. It's almost pointless to make it fold down at all!

Anything you would set on it would slide to the floor of the trunk area. AT least in previous models you could actually make use of the folded down back of the rear seats as valid storage area. 50/50 split is nice. But I would almost rather take out the headrests and fold up the bottom like the old ones. It's just more functional to me!

But there is definitely more rear trunk space.

·
Moto Bugger
30 Posts
Last Thursday, I traded my 2009 Blush Edition vert for a 2012 2.0T. It is Candy White and has the "Turbo" graphics on the lower door panels. It has the automatic trans. I should have waited for the manual. It is the base model turbo. Overall, I am pleased with the car. While sitting in the driver seat, you feel like you're driving a mid size car instead of a compact car. I miss my satellite radio, but there are options for that. I would suggest getting one of these if you have the means. Don't let the dealerships fool you, "special editions" are only special when they are selling them. It means nothing when you want to trade them. My Blush only had 1914 miles on it and they only gave me $18,750.00 for the trade-in. I should have taken it to Barrett-Jackson and tried to sell it there. Oh well!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
So has anyone drove a stick yet?

I stopped at the VW dealer yesterday to get some power steering fluid and saw a white turbo and a blue (denim?) one; at first glance the white one reminded me of a GTI and not an NB. The blue one reminded me of an old style beetle because it had the chrome moon hub caps and I was drawn to it.

Both were automatics :hurl: so I declined the test drive and did not bother to take a seat; the sales guy looked confused.

Pricing in this area is 21k to 25k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts