VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm struggling to remove the driver side exterior key cylinder from a 2012 Beetle. I've tried loosening (and also removing) the side screw on the door then trying to get the key cylinder to pull out. It shows no signs of budging. Is there a backplate that is holding in the key cylinder onto the door as well? I haven't found any tutorials on the 2012+ models, they all seem to be for older vehicles.

I'm doing the door latch replacement and was able to maneuver the old part out without needing to remove the key cylinder, however, this doesn't appear to be possible to install the new one without getting the cylinder out of the way for proper alignment afterwards.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know the answer but you might post the vwvortex beetle section (more active) or download the service manual for the 2012+ beetles. erWin, is the ONLY service manual; that I know is available for the "newer" Beetles. $35 for online access for one day and you can print/download the manuals there. If you do this; please let us know, how it goes. No one has given feedback on using and getting manuals through erWin yet. I can only assume; it will take awhile for Haynes or Chilton, to make a service manual for the newer Beetles.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestions all. I previously tried posting on the VWVortex forum but I didn't get any feedback. Here I was at least guided to some potential approaches that would help me solve my issues so I'll follow up.

After not being able to find any documentation or vids pertaining to the 2012+ New Beetle, I had decided to take billymade's advice and purchase a 24 hour license to access the shop manual via https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

Some quick feedback on the erwin site from my brief experience. After creating a username and entering email info, there did not appear to be a spot to enter a new password. So I was confused when trying to login after filling out the registration form. This was resolved by doing a password recovery and being able to reset a password that I never got to initially set. The site could benefit from some usability improvements, but overall you can get to what you need with some effort, not the worst but not the most intuitive.

Upon entering the site and finding the functional area for repairs, the guide would not appear to load in my browser (Windows OS with Chrome and Firefox browsers). I did not try with my Mac, so it could have been a different story. They do have a "download pdf" button, which I highly recommend doing instead as saving a local copy will be beneficial for future reference.

PDF's vary on size of the functional area being worked on (i.e. electrical, body exterior, communication, etc). I downloaded 3 PDF's with sizes ranging from 11.0 - 60.0 megs. The good thing about these PDF's is that they appear to be accessible on my local drive despite being outside of the website's 24hour access period, so I definitely recommend downloading them. I would also suggest downloading areas un-related to your current repair so that you have them saved for future reference as needed (instead of requiring another membership). I wish I had downloaded a few more but we don't expect to be keeping the car too much longer.

Basically if you've ever used a shop manual, some of the organization wouldn't seem so logical and you may require searching up different areas to find what you're looking for. This was no surprise to me as I've had some experience in the past. PDF's do make the process easier by being able to search the text (CTRL+F or CMD+F).

The repair itself: My problem was trying to remove the driver side door key cylinder so I could install a new driver door latch. I had already removed one Torx-20 bolt (near the latch area) behind the rubber cap but the key cylinder still wouldn't move. The reference manual pointed out that there was another T-20 bit hiding behind the door's weather seal (behind a round tape cover). As soon as I saw this I nodded to myself knowing that it was so simple, yet so overlooked - live and learn. After finding this resource it was all I needed to get the driver side door latch replaced in no time.

A side note: There appear to be several tutorials on how to repair the existing door latch module, which was my original intention, instead of having to remove and replace (R&R) with a new unit. Some videos and tutorials show how the soldering points within the door latch mechanism become cracked over time and simply re-soldering them can fix the issues. This does not appear to be a viable solution for the 2012+ model as the unit is now fully sealed. All screws have been removed and other areas are riveted shut. I asked the part's associate if this was a commonly sold part and he indicated that it was. Previously, at least you had a chance of repairing the original part, now it does not seem to be the case and you have few options but to purchase the replacement part (~$200 USD after taxes). C'est la vie.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, glad you got it fixed! Tt sounds like erWin, is the way to go; for downloading the manuals. :)
For $35, it's actually a great value if you spend some time and download a bunch to have as a future reference. The knowledge gained can certainly make the difference between fixing something yourself or having to send it to a shop and pay for labor.

Well worth it in my opinion. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts