NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just wanted to let you know the current issues of both Motor trend (which I bought) and Car and Driver (Didn't buy but read in the store). both have articles on the new bug!
car and driver's is a one page comparrison between the 2012, the 1998-2010, and the original, basically styling cues. The Motor Trend ia an actual article on around 3 or 4 pages.

Thought I'd let you all know!

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Got that copy myself. Matter of fact, I scanned the featured pic... here it is:D

Hey Yellow99, if you don't mind, maybe the mods can change the title of your thread to the "2012 beetle magazine sighting thread"- that way other's can post the B-12 sightings from other mags. It's your thread...just throwing out a suggestion:)

Anyhoo, here's the pic of the featured article:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Do these magazine articles discuss the base 2.5 Beetle that most people will buy or just the Turbo version? While there will undoubtedly be many performance-oriented enthusiasts that will be interested in the turbo models, the Average Joe (or Josephine) will probably make up 90% of the buyers and opt for the base 2.5 or even wait for the diesel.

·
Finch the BUG LVR!
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that's a great idea of changing the title of the thread, so that it's all magazines with articles!

The magazine touches base on all models, and has specs for all engines, however it seems like VW is making sure everyone gets to drive the turbo, because they want most of the reviews for the Highest End Bug.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I would think that VW would want most of the reviews for the Bug that would be expected to sell more units. If I had to guess, I would assume that 80%-90% of 2012 Beetle sales will be the 2.5. At least, until the diesel comes out.

While we're on the subject of the diesel, many have tried to convince me to get a TDI instead of a 2.5 gas, but I see no advantage. The upcoming TDI is said to only get 10 mpg more than the 2.5. Diesel fuel costs anywhere from 20 cents to 80 cents more per gallon, depending on time of year. At least, this is how it works in Wisconsin. The cars themselves will also be priced at least $2000 more initially (if not $3000) and cost more to maintain.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I too would highly recommend the TDI over the 2.5. I'd say your real life mpg would be much better than 10mpg. I'm guessing the 2.5 maybe gets 25mpg, whereas the TDI can get upwards of 40mpg.

Not to mention it's a much better engine, and will last much longer than a gasser.

If that's not enough reason, it's also more tunable. I know with the old 90hp TDI, you could chip it to get near 1.8t performance for just a few hundred dollars. Not bad.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I agree, the TDI is a better way to go. Not to sound like a broken record, but I too like the longevity of the TDI as well as the tuning aspects. And I can vouch on the performance of a tuned TDI. Fellow orger, Mr. Chaotica's TDI gave my 1.8 a strong run for the money.

I can't wait to see the B-12 in person. I'm really wanting to see the serviceability aspects of it, like getting to things under the hood and whatnot.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
I too am really looking forward to seeing the NB in person, and definitely want to wait for the TDI.

My 1.8 doesn't get the greatest gas mileage, around 28-33 during the summer months, but it could be better. I would love to get better mileage, especially with the high cost of gas!
Hmmm, I didn't know Versas had 1.8 engines... who knew:D

The arrival of the B12 kinda comes right on time for your master plan on getting a beetle huh? Are you considering getting a B12?

·
Dreamin' of a Bug !
1,261 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't know Versas had 1.8 engines... who knew:D

The arrival of the B12 kinda comes right on time for your master plan on getting a beetle huh? Are you considering getting a B12?
Versas come with a 1.6 (sedan only), or 1.8 (sedan and hatchback models). I have a CVT transmission, which definitely makes driving nice and quiet. No revving from the engine, its quiet and smooth. I love it. But I really think I want a manual next time around. After seeing the new Beetle designs and models, I now know I want the newest Beetle. Versa is paid off in April 2013, so I'm hoping the TDI is available then. If not, it will give me more time to save, lol. Versa would become the winter car at that point.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Versas come with a 1.6 (sedan only), or 1.8 (sedan and hatchback models). I have a CVT transmission, which definitely makes driving nice and quiet. No revving from the engine, its quiet and smooth. I love it. But I really think I want a manual next time around. After seeing the new Beetle designs and models, I now know I want the newest Beetle. Versa is paid off in April 2013, so I'm hoping the TDI is available then. If not, it will give me more time to save, lol. Versa would become the winter car at that point.
Cool bit of info there, thanks:)

And yep, it looks like your beetle plan is panning out nicely:D.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
15 MPG? An 8-cylinder SUV will do better than that! Is this a typo? The 2.5 gets 29-30 mpg. The TDI is said to get 40. Tuning doesn't interest me, either. I'm a stock guy.
Sorry, that was a typo. Yes, I'm guessing it gets about 25mpg. My 1.8t originally got 25mpg with a combination of city / highway, and today, gets 22mpg at best (after years of service and modding). And while they say 29-30, I would bet real world driving experience is closer to 25mpg.

And that's great if you're a stock guy. But still, for reliability, mpg, longevity, my money is on the TDI any day, over the 2.5. And I would not say that TDI is much more expensive to repair. And, like I said before, it's a much more reliable engine, and will last hundreds of thousands of miles. So repairs should be minimal.

When the pictures / info first came out, I decided for sure, my next Beetle would be a TDI. But since, I decided next time, I really want a convertible. No point in having three cars and all being hard tops. Unfortunately, we'll never get a TDI convertible. But if we did, there's no question, that's the engine I would go for. It's worth every penny.

Also, the TDIs do MUCH better in the resale market than gassers, especially when gas prices are at a premium.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
[email protected] has confirmed we WILL get a TDI convertible so don't disparage just yet. Jamie is usually spot on the money with Volkswagen news so there is a real chance we'll get it.

The 2.5 seems like it's the most reliable and least maintenance intensive motor that Volkswagen has yet to produce even better than the old 1.8 8V. It doesn't get the best mpg since it doesn't have any fancy direct injection but it doesn't do that bad either.

My mother has a Jetta station wagon equipped with the 2.5 and tiptronic. She has been averaging just a hair under 30mpg over the last 30,000 miles with it starting in the lower 20's and now getting 32mpg in mixed driving with one tank bringing in 36mpg all highway and lots of construction keeping the speed down around 55 mph.

So far only issue were two flat tires during the winter when the less than steller Hankook 725a tires slid her into curbs which then cut the too thin sidewalls. Tire warrenty covered replacement so other than a few oil changes no expenditures.

I'm actually leaning more towards picking up a 2.5 than my original plan of snagging a 2.0T simply because of the excellent experience my mom has had so far with hers.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
So just out of curiosity at this point, when will the TDI hardtop come out? Is VW waiting until 2013? When doing my cost calculating, I came up with an average figure of about a $600 per year savings in fuel for the average 15,000k mile driver and assuming 87 gas @ $4.00. I thought this would be negated by the higher sticker price and maintenance costs. But I forgot about the longevity factor. I do have a friend with an early 80s Rabbit diesel that has nearly 500,000 miles on the original engine!

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
[email protected] has confirmed we WILL get a TDI convertible so don't disparage just yet. Jamie is usually spot on the money with Volkswagen news so there is a real chance we'll get it.
Thanks for the info! Now to wait and see what colors will be offered in the convertible. I tend to lean more towards the subtle colors. :D

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
So just out of curiosity at this point, when will the TDI hardtop come out? Is VW waiting until 2013? When doing my cost calculating, I came up with an average figure of about a $600 per year savings in fuel for the average 15,000k mile driver and assuming 87 gas @ $4.00. I thought this would be negated by the higher sticker price and maintenance costs. But I forgot about the longevity factor. I do have a friend with an early 80s Rabbit diesel that has nearly 500,000 miles on the original engine!
I won't be completely accurate as this is from memory but...

2.0T early fourth quarter 2011
2.5 fourth quarter 2011
2.0TDI first quarter 2012

The convertible comes next and then the R model both being 2013 models. So probably third or fourth quarter 2012.... probably.

Never could figure out why VW launches convertibles at the end of the season not at the start but it's vw...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts