NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took me a while to remember to get on here and post what happened the week before last.

The week before last, I was on the highway cruising on the highway (I-25 North in Denver) and me still being a Beetle nut, I saw from a good 1/4 mile a way a 2012 Beetle! At first I just thought it was a 2010, I was about to get off the highway so I didn't miss my exit- but I nailed the gas in my Saab caught up and got behind it.

I just had got this phone the day before, and wasn't use to the controls:mad:
It had Cali MFG plates. I didn't see any LED headlamps when I did get in front of him though. I followed him- he for whatever reason did not want me following him, and decided to get off the highway and start driving like a maniac. I followed suite, it was definetly a turbo model, at every stop sign he was nailing it, sounded like a GTI almost.

My following ended when he turned on a street called Santa Fe, and had a 2011 Jetta with MFG plates cut me off. They blew threw a few red light cameras and that was the end of it for me.

Super exciting huh? I've been a Beetle lover since I could crawl, and I was so excited to see this car I almost got teary eyed...

Enjoy the spotted pics!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm gonna be out that way in a few weeks, when I go pick my 2000 Cyber Green up from my sister's property in Cheyenne, WY. I will be flying into Denver, then driving a rental up to Cheyenne to get the Beetle. The next day I'll be taking a trip to the VW dealership in Fort Collins, CO to have the timing belt and water pump changed. Maybe, I'll spot that 2012 in my travels.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
While I love all New Beetles/Beetles, I am not digging those "not round" taillights. I hope they will grow on me. :eek:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm gonna be out that way in a few weeks, when I go pick my 2000 Cyber Green up from my sister's property in Cheyenne, WY. I will be flying into Denver, then driving a rental up to Cheyenne to get the Beetle. The next day I'll be taking a trip to the VW dealership in Fort Collins, CO to have the timing belt and water pump changed. Maybe, I'll spot that 2012 in my travels.

Prepare to get bent over at the dealer!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Prepare to get bent over at the dealer!

OK...I'll take that as you trying to be funny. Normally, a comment like that would get a two word response from me, but I'll be nice.

Now, let's get something straight. I may be a new member, but I'm not an idiot. I was quoted a price of $700 dollars to have the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner changed. Not a bad price from a dealer from what I've read on this forum. Yes, I could fine a corner mechanic to do the job for 400 or 500 hundred bucks. However, I am going to be almost 2,000 miles away from home. I want the job done right, not cheap. I have to drive the car all the way back to New York by myself.

I'm 34 years old, and have been an active member on tons of online forums for many years. I even served as a moderator on a guitar forum for a few years. While I'm a newbie to this forum, I'm a veteran to the whole forum game. Eliteboi, single sentence replies don't really do anyone any good. At first glance, your comment made me feel a little like I was being talked down to, but I'll let it slide. I have a thick skin, and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
OK...I'll take that as you trying to be funny. Normally, a comment like that would get a two word response from me, but I'll be nice.

Now, let's get something straight. I may be a new member, but I'm not an idiot. I was quoted a price of $700 dollars to have the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner changed. Not a bad price from a dealer from what I've read on this forum. Yes, I could fine a corner mechanic to do the job for 400 or 500 hundred bucks. However, I am going to be almost 2,000 miles away from home. I want the job done right, not cheap. I have to drive the car all the way back to New York by myself.

I'm 34 years old, and have been an active member on tons of online forums for many years. I even served as a moderator on a guitar forum for a few years. While I'm a newbie to this forum, I'm a veteran to the whole forum game. Eliteboi, single sentence replies don't really do anyone any good. At first glance, your comment made me feel a little like I was being talked down to, but I'll let it slide. I have a thick skin, and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.
Props to you for taking the high road my good man:bigthumb:

And you're correct- 700.00 is a good price for a dealer installed timing belt/water pump job.

Good point. Although I'm sure eliteboi was being a jokester, it is important for us to remember that we need to be careful in what we post in the forums. We need to realize that everyone isn't from the same school of thought and can't read the vibe of a post, especially one-liners; they can be taken the wrong way.

As we post caveats to our fellow orgers, we can do so while being respectful and not condescending in the process.

Savage, you were correct in our assumption; eliteboi didn't mean to come off wrong- but your point is a good one and shouldn't be ignored.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, I know, but for a second, I took it the wrong way. Telling one of your buddies "get ready to bend over" may be funny, but you wouldn't want someone that you didn't know to say it to you. It's all good, though.

When I served as a moderator on the guitar forum, I watched a lot of newbies go running for the hills over comments like that (made by senior members). Then the same senior members would complain that there were not enough active members and that the forums were dead.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I know, but for a second, I took it the wrong way. Telling one of your buddies "get ready to bend over" may be funny, but you wouldn't want someone that you didn't know to say it to you. It's all good, though.

When I served as a moderator on the guitar forum, I watched a lot of newbies go running for the hills over comments like that (made by senior members). Then the same senior members would complain that there were not enough active members and that the forums were dead.

Wow if that came across as harsh, rude or anything I apologize!

Usually a dealer charges 900+ for that. The ones here in Denver quoted me upward of 1k!
Just make sure they aren't still putting plastic impeller waterpumps in them!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok in the fifth pic down I like the chrome trim, the wheels, the spoiler and even the trim around the back glass. The taillights may look better if they were clear Euro type especially on a black beetle.I still like the round ones better though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts