NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Rocanroler
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am such a newb when it comes to bike racks, so I really have no idea which rack would fit my 2012 beetle or so.

The site claims it will fit my 2012 beetle, but I am not so sure because most trunk racks are made for the generic sedan trunks, which aren't as big. The 2012 beetle trunk is literally the whole back of the car, so I don't know if they will even fit.

I was looking at these two, but I'm not sure.

Advantage TrunkRack Bike Rack - Best Price on Advantage SportsRack Trunk Bike Rack for Cars & SUVs

Yakima Littlejoe Bike Rack, Yakima Bike Racks

I asked VW if they had bike racks, and the service people just sort of looked the other way. :\ I just want to be able to take my bike with me!

any suggestions/tips would be helpful!

·
The Rocanroler
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm. i guess you're right. I'll check that out. Is the hidden hitch something i can install myself or do i need to have someone with mechanical knowledge install it for me?

·
Registered
950 Posts
hmm. i guess you're right. I'll check that out. Is the hidden hitch something i can install myself or do i need to have someone with mechanical knowledge install it for me?
The hitch info for the 2012 (not turbo!) seemed to indicate that no additional holes would need to be made in the car to attach, only that the exhaust would need to be dropped temporarily during the install.

You'll just want to have a torque wrench to make sure you tighten to the right specifications. Don't want that too loose.

·
The Rocanroler
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i see. Well, I'm gonna go to a local bike shop and check out their universal bike racks on site first before I go out and buy a hitch and then a rack. If I went for the latter I'd end up paying more than what I paid for the bike!:p
Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
The Rocanroler
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I ended up opting for this rack. Bike Rack

The top straps BARELY fit on the top of the roof, and the rack isn't straight as it said it should sit. Nonetheless, it didn't scratch the car nor wobble, nor obstruct my view.

The only issue with that bike rack was it didn't secure my bike too well so i had to duct tape it in the end to the rack.

But as far as the rack fitting the beetle and staying secure-- Success!!!

Thanks for the suggestions though!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
:D Hi! I'm currently looking for a bike rack for my 2008 beetle, do you still you this one on your 2012? How's it holding up? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts