VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the leak detector pump on my 2012 VW Beetle. How do you remove the carbon tank to get to the pump?

My check engine light is on and I took it to the dealer. They diagnosed the problem as the leak detector pump. Instead of paying them $500 to fix it. I thought I'd try myself. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, this is a such a new car; I'm not aware of anyone replacing this so far. I'm surprised; that you are out of the warranty so quickly and that you are having to replace this so soon. Unfortunately, there are not an typical service manuals printed yet; for these newer vehicles. erWin, is Volkswagen's official online service and if you wanted to refer to a service manual, that would probably be your only option. It is $35 for one day and you could download all the manuals you wanted. Check it out here:

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

Aside from that; I would just start working your way through it and find the best way you can do the job (there looks to be hoses, retainers and clamps. You might need to remove the whole assembly; to get to the pump?). It probably, is not that hard; don't psyche yourself out. Take your time and if you want, take some pics as you remove things. You can refer to them later; to help you, when you put it back together.

So, did you buy a new or used part; maybe referring to the part, might help you figure out what you need to do. I wouldn't be surprised; if you could find a used pump at a junkyard, I am sure someone has wiped out a newer beetle somewhere.

If you take pictures; point out exactly the components you are referring to, we might be able to help. Sometimes; VW will sell a part as a whole assembly and certain parts are not available by themselves. You need to investigate what parts are available from the dealer or see if you can get the assembly from a junk yard.

On the earlier new beetles; they were under the right rear fender, under the fender liner. I would assume; they would be in a similar position on the new ones. Good luck with the repair and document how it goes, it could help others in the future. Thanks! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
How did the dealer decide this was the issue? What was the code(s) that came up from the CEL? I guess I'm just surprised that this is something needing replaced on a car this new. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have the service manuals for the beetle but what engine is this? 2.5, 2.0T, TDI?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Text Line Font Diagram

This is all i got, maybe it will help!

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My beetle is a 2.5L, not a TDI. The code was P2402, which I knew before taking it to the dealer. After doing some research it could have been a number of things. That is why I took it to them to pin point what was wrong.

I can't get the hoses (2 and 3 in the diagram that was posted above) off of the carbon tank. Also, I don't know how to take the bumper off. Is there a way to do it without taking the fenders off? I can visually see the pieces are seperate, but underneath it looks like they are hooked together.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Apparently a tools of this nature is required:

Text Font Line Diagram Design

And those clips detach like so...

Auto part Diagram Parallel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts