NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Hoping someone can help me decide about purchasing a Beetle with this issue. I am considering buying a 2013 Beetle for my teenage daughter and the "Lemonbuster" guy just let me know the tailgate is holding water in the rain. The water pools inside behind the VW emblem. Once the tailgate is opened about a 1/2 gallon of water runs in to the back seats of the car. I called a service advisor at a VW Beetle and she said she has not seen this. Any advice is most welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,667 Posts
I guess the first question was ask would be why would you buy a car with this problem; is there a particular reason why or is there a substantial reduction in price? For a typical owner I would not recommend a car that is damaged or has a water ingress problem but would get a car that is fully functional and getting in good shape especially for a driver like your daughter. Getting the problem professionally repaired; before buying the car, would be a sales strategy but even then, i don’t see the bebfit of purchasng a water damaged car. There seem to be quite a bit of unknowns in this situation; what damage has taken place has mold formed in the car which could cause health problems for your daughter and what other potential issues are there that you’re not aware of? Insubstantial water ingress issues water damage can affect electrical issues with the car and even though things get replaced you can continue to have electrical issues as a whole wiring harness this can become affected in corroded. It can be similar to buying a flood vehicle and that is probably just not worth it. Some cars actually get an insurance claim on them and they end up being totaled and auction off for salvage. On the other hand if you’re somebody who likes to work on cars and fix things and if the problem gives you a substantial reduction in price and you come out ahead after repairs then it might be something to consider. You would be taking all the risk on yourself and also I would want to confirm the car is not a salvage title at this point.

Having said all that: I still think it would be better to buy a car that is in good shape and there are many other fish in the sea, as it were. Thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I owned a 14 and traded that on a 17 almost 2 years ago never had any kind of issue with water in the hatch leaking inside on either one

1 - 3 of 3 Posts