NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on a 2013 2.5l volkswagen beetle. When engine is cold is throwing a red oil pressure warning light along with a beeper. Goes away right away. No runnability problems. Runs fine. Once engine warms up it never comes on again. It was close to an oil change so that was done, beforehand the oil pan was dropped to inspect pickup and what not. No issue found. All i can think of is a sensor but i cannot find where its located? Is there more than one like some vehicles? Does intake need to be removed? Any help would be greatly appreciated im not too familiar with foreign vehicles. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
I would start with a fresh scan with a vw specific scan tool and see if there are any related codes.

Beyond that, doing a traditional oil pressure test and confirm, it is spec, would be next. That is very important, so you do not potentially damage your engine; if it is spec, then you can move on to test the oil pressure sensor and possible electrical issues.

At this point, there are no paper manuals; we can point you to and give you spec/testing instructions.

All service manual info, for 2012+ models, originates from Volkswagen but there are a number of ways to access these manuals. You can sign up for Volkswagens online access through their ErWin online service, access the manual online and dowload the manuals, to print and view later on your computer in .pdf form/files. You have to create an account and the most affordable cost is about $35 for 24 hours and download as many manuals as you want.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

Aside from VW, you can access the same manuals through Mitchell1 or AllData; most autoshops, have access to one or the other. If you have an friend who is a mechanic, you might ask them; to print out or save the needed oil pressure testing info you need.

Let us know, what codes you find out and the results of any testing you do. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have scanned and no codes are currently present. I was only wondering where the oil pressure sensor is located. I have a new one to install i just cannot locate the sensor itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
engine light on 2.5 liter

I have a 2.5 beetle 2013 with only 40,000 mi and the oil light would come on and then the beeep with the shut off engine immediately. I took it to my mechanic and he saw nothing wrong but the car kept doing it and he said since the car was so near new with so few mile to take it to the vw dealer so that if anything major was found vw should stand behind it. Well took it to dealer and they replaced the sensor which I had already told them was replaced by my mechanic and they said that thats what they thought was the issue. I drove the car home next morning start it to go to work and same issue. Called dealer they said drive it in and they would check it....I said, really, drive it in, they checked and said they would send a tow truck to flat bed it in. They called the next day to say tnat the coating on the oil pan was flaking off and getting picked up by the pickup tube and that they had to replace the oil pan, they re-reimbursed me for the previous bill and said to check with vw to see if they would do anything about the faulty oil pan coating, nope nothing, called vw and basically was told tough luck. I guess dieselgate isn't the only problem they have.

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
Interesting story, this is the first i have heard about flaking paint; cloggng up the oil pickup tube. Maybe rhe paint was defective? It would be interesting; ti see what the old oil pan looked like and how much paint flaked off. It is always best, to confirm; actual oil pressure, by testing it with a oil pressure gauge. I'm sorry to hear VW didn't cover the repair costs; on out of warranty repairs, sometimes vw, will help with repair costs (partial or whole). However, most of the time, unless there is a recall, a ongoing widespread known issue or class action lawsuit, many of us, have been stuck with repair bills, for many problems we have experienced. What was your repair cost, for the diagnostic, pickup tube and oil pan replacement? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess the other part that made me wonder was, isn't the dealer computer supposed to be able to better diagnose the vehicle. I would have thought that the computer would have been able to tell the dealer that the oil relay was functioning. As for the oil gauge, my mechanic in the little repair shop here used an oil gauge and that was what made him recommend that I take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
13,109 Posts
Hmmm, well the question is, what trouble codes were thrown (if any) and what live data a scan tool, would show about the oil pressure (not shown on the older new beetle's). There can be electrical problems, that can throw a false reading, kick on the low oil pressure light and that is why, it is best to use a analog oil pressure test gauge and confirm, what the actual oil pressures is. I don't know what troubleshooting steps the vw dealership used but they must have confirmed the actual low oil pressure and that is why they pulled the oil pan, thus finding the clogged pickup tube. I'm sure they followed the official vw service manual testing procedures; unfortunately, there are no paper service manuals available and can only be accessed through vw's erwin, alldata or mitchell1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts