NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question ...

My 16 year old daughter loves VW Beetles, and I will be getting her a car in a year or so. I want the car to be reliable obviously. My question ...

I keep reading about the issue of Beetle's and other cars with frameless windows having the windows freezing and not being able to move to allow the windows, and thus the door, to open and/or close in extreme cold weather (or even semi cold weather). Not good being locked out ... especially if away from home (work, school).

I have read some many people say to just use Gummi Pflege or some other silicon lubricant for the window seals. Others say to also use de-icer. Others say use a garage (which is great at night, but not so much if at work for 8-10 hours). Others say use a credit card or ice scraper to remove ice on window seal. Others say get a remote starter to allow the car to warm up. But others say they have tried this and it's still a problem.

So ... as I live in Cleveland, OH and it gets very cold & snowy and it will be a young driver, how much of an issue is this?

Any opinions from people with a 2013-current Beetle on if this is a big problem or just a minor annoyance?

Sorry for long post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No problem at all

I am replying to myself in case anyone else is curious. I did buy my daughter a 2012 Beetle. We had several freezing Cleveland winter days (cold & snow too). Car had no issues at all.

So regardless of all the horror stories of frameless windows and winter, in my case there was no problem at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts