NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Volkswagen convertible beetle. Recently my convertible top has been acting up. Whenever I pull the button to close the top. It starts to close, and when It goes to lock itself into place there is a loud constant clicking noise coming from the middle where the lock is located overhead. The display center says “error, service convertible top”. If I continue to try and close the top the display center then reads “high temperature convertible top” and the top does not move. I can wait a few minutes before it resumes control. Currently, my convertible top is not locked into place and basically says that it’s still open. I do not know how to manually lock it into place nor do I know what to do going forward. Can I get some tips? Is the motor dead? Do I HAVE to take it to the dealer or is there something I can do to remedy it at home? I have searched the internet and can’t find anything to help me with my problem.

·
Registered
13,037 Posts
For diagnosis, a VW scan tool; like VCDS, by Ross Tech, can help you read trouble codes, see live data and confirm, what the problem is. Check out this video; for common issues and the type of testing, you can do with VCDS, to see what is going on with the top.

This is showing a older new beetle convertible but i am sure; the newer ones have similar sensors and any trouble codes, may help narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Volkswagen convertible beetle. Recently my convertible top has been acting up. Whenever I pull the button to close the top. It starts to close, and when It goes to lock itself into place there is a loud constant clicking noise coming from the middle where the lock is located overhead. The display center says “error, service convertible top”. If I continue to try and close the top the display center then reads “high temperature convertible top” and the top does not move. I can wait a few minutes before it resumes control. Currently, my convertible top is not locked into place and basically says that it’s still open. I do not know how to manually lock it into place nor do I know what to do going forward. Can I get some tips? Is the motor dead? Do I HAVE to take it to the dealer or is there something I can do to remedy it at home? I have searched the internet and can’t find anything to help me with my problem.
I was just looking for a solution to my VW top issue. It just started to happen to mine a few days ago. Same year as well.
So far I have been able to get it to lock by opening it and closing it several time. There must be a faulty sensor.At this time, I don't have the money to get it looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No. It just started happening yesterday when we were going for a drive. We started getting a flashing top light on the dash.
We pulled over and eventually got it to lock. Then no issues the rest of the day. It happened again just a few hours ago.
I pulled over and got it to lock down after a few tries. I assume the only way to scan the codes is through a dealer?

·
Registered
13,037 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello All,

Same thing happening to me. Started randomly today. Completely out of the blue after average use.

Did you figure out the issue? I think this part may fix it... but not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
UPDATE!

I figured it out. The sensor that detects when the latches have finished locking was not consistently becoming engaged. It's clear that the tolerance for when the switch engages is very small and if it DOESNT engage, the motor will continue locking (which makes the clicking sound) Definitely not healthy for the locking motor..

So to fix, I adjusted the location of the locking sensor by a few millimeters so that the right switch on the sensor will engage more intentionally. The contact point (circled in red) was not connecting consistently. Thus I shifted the entire sensor to the right by a couple millimeters to ensure the connection is consistent. NOTE: The right yellow hole is oval shaped allowing for the shift, the left hole was circular which didn't allow for much flex, so the screw is a bit loose. No big deal since the left sensor was very consistently being engaged. I have attached a PDF with instructions for access. All you need is a TORX..

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts