NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About two weeks ago I purchased a 2013 New Beetle with I5 gas engine, 5-speed manual and about 24k miles one it. The vehicle seemed to be in great shape, no interior issues at all, paint job fully intact, etc. My wife and I took in a good 600 mile drive between Austin and North East Texas with absolutely no trouble. Then yesterday, I was accelerating away from a stop light (maybe a little to aggressively), was somewhere between 3500~4000 and the car lurched like someone hit the breaks, twice in a row without me changing positions on the pedals. It was very sudden, like something had locked up for a second and released almost instantaneously, and (I think) accompanied by a thunk or thunk like sound, but happened so fast I'm not sure if that was there or just a perception. Not two seconds it lurched on me again and then started behaving normally.
Now, it had done something similar but not nearly as violent once before and I chocked it to me being off on a new clutch, but this time, I'm 90% certain there was no way I could have caused it. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't me slipping and hitting the break pedal or catching when I hit the clutch. My right foot was solidly on the accelerator and my left didn't feel the extra pressure you'd get from breaks, also I couldn't have moved physically fast enough to cause lurching directly. Second, If I'd have hit the break, there would have been screeching tires or at least a chirp from them but there was nothing like that. I'm taking it into the dealer on Tuesday to see what they say, anyone have any ideas?

Note: No check engine light ... so far.

Update: I was able to verify this afternoon that keeping the car in 1st or 2nd (I didn't try to test past that point) and letting the tach get to 3500 or so causes the vehicle to lurch violently. No other interactions needed ...

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
This sounds like a odd one; is this car still under warranty? I would stop by your local Vw dealer and discuss your problem with them and see if there are any open recalls on the issue.

I have heard of odd problems with the DSG transmissions but you are saying; you have a manual transmission?

Please keep us in the loop; as you work through this issue, because these cars are so new, we don't have
much info on them and most issues are being covered under warranty.

As these cars drop out of warranty; problems will come up and it is important, to document any issues and how I fix them! Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The car is a certified pre-owned and I haven't even gotten the full paper work back from the bank yet. So, as far as I'm aware, the warranty should still be there. I've got an appointment to take it in to the dealer on Tuesday, hopefully the issue will stay consistent when it's time to show them. And yes, it's the 5 speed manual. I'll definitely post a follow up when I find out more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, sitting at the dealership and waiting for the mechanic to get to me. First thing I'm told on getting to the service desk is that the vehicle has a "toe" problem on the front wheels. Both are toe'd in, pretty badly from what their little chart showed ... More to come as I find out more and the mechanic actually starts looking at the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I have to say that I'm a touch embarrassed on this one ... this generation of bug has the most violent traction control that I've ever come across. On top of that, it doesn't always flash the traction control light if the system only kicks on for a very short period of time. Every other vehicle I've driven is practically unnoticeable when the traction control kicks in, this one reacts hard enough to feel like it's throwing you around ... and if the light doesn't flash you'll never realize what the heck is happening. So, anyone in this car, watch out for that especially if you're used to something with a good deal less power.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
So, that is the VW dealers explanation; of the problem, you are having? Maybe, you should drive; a similar car on the VW lot and see if it "acts" the same way, you are experiencing with your car. On the front end"toe" issue, I find it odd; that you are having alignment problems so soon! Unless something happened to the car and there is a problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to keep an eye on it definitely ... and may see about a test drive of another car. The toe issue didn't seem to raise red flags with the mechanic (supposedly a shop foreman) ... he seemed to think that what their machine showed could be as simple as a little air in the tires ... I may get that checked at a different shop to see. In any event, in the car this morning I was able to duplicate the issue and see the traction control light. I guess the other possible issue could be that it's a little overly sensitive. If it turns out to be something different I'll update the thread..

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
You might want to seriously; figure out this situation, research your lemon laws in your state. When you purchase a car; you have more leverage in the beginning, many places treat you differently after the sale and can stonewall you, on problems with the car. If you believe you have a serious problem; do not hesitate to return the car and walk away from it or get VW of America involved or at the very least, log your concerns with VW Customer Care. I bought a brand new VW; years ago, that had a transmission issue and it took a long time, effort to finally get a buyback from VW. I never had a new car and figured; the problem, would work itself out, as it "broke in", it never did and even after a rebuild, the same problem persisted.

You may not have a issue but if there is one; I would get it handled sooner, than later and be willing to get a different car, if there is a major issue. As a car buyer, you have all the cards; before closing the deal or in the returnable time frame (each state; has different consumer protection laws). I'm not trying to be alarmist; just trying to avoid, what I went through and downtime, money, aggravation involved. Keep us updated; on things, as your progress through any issues. Thanks.

VW Customer Care:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+customer+care&oq=vw+customer+care&aqs=chrome..69i57.2544j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts