NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone remove their automatic shift handle than can share their technique? I'm looking to replace it with one in real leather. Any ideas?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone remove their automatic shift handle than can share their technique? I'm looking to replace it with one in real leather. Any ideas?
It's about the trigger and patience. ..
Zip tie the trigger. .pull it out all the way. ..I put two together
Under the boot there is a clamp..break it off..loosen it...pull up on shifter. .without touching the trigger. ..to put on new reverse process ..you do it once. ..you might change the shifter every year
Good luck ...took me about 50 min
Oh put the car in neutral. ..so that means that your key will be in the on position. ..if you push in the trigger. ..big problem. ..DON'T PUSH THE TRIGGER. ...pull it out ..zip tie it out under

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,301 Posts
Make sure you have the parking brake on when doing this so it doesn't matter which gear you're in.

·
Super Moderator
5,301 Posts
Yeah the clamp has to be cut or manipulated enough to come off. It's a one time use kinda thing.

I believe I used a zip tie to hold the new boot on. I suppose you could use a copper wire (no rust :bigthumb:) and just twist it to get it tight.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Yeah the clamp has to be cut or manipulated enough to come off. It's a one time use kinda thing.

I believe I used a zip tie to hold the new boot on. I suppose you could use a copper wire (no rust :bigthumb:) and just twist it to get it tight.
Thanks mang. Think I'm gonna do a DIY video and post it.

·
The dragon is watching U
771 Posts
on manual cars that I replaced the knob on I used a small hose clamp when reinstalling...

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
on manual cars that I replaced the knob on I used a small hose clamp when reinstalling...
I was thinking about going that route- have a few lying around. I went with the zip tie instead.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts