NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WOOT!

The time has come again for us Floridians to plan for our annual pilgrimage to Bryson City, NC for T.O.D.5

As the years have passed our caravan of beetles has grown and now covers a lot of areas of FL.

A few of our objectives for the FL caravan is to:
-roll out en masse. Nothing like seeing a long train of new beetles
-drive and arrive safely
-getting to Bryson City as quickly as possible.

Due to the now enormous size of the FL carabugavan, and that some are traveling from further south in the state, our travel plans have changed

Please keep in mind that as incredibly awesome a carabugavan of 15+ new beetles looks on the interstate, and even meeting up in another city to join an additional beetle caravan, we want to get to Bryson City as quickly as possible; we have a good 8 hours of travel for Friday getting to T.O.D., so the quicker we get off the road, in Bryson City, to relax, the better.

===== These are the OFFICIAL travel plans, courtesy of our Chief of logistics, Chuckie =====​

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Bugaphiles of all ages.

The route for the Great Florida Carabugvan has been finalized.

Thursday night 2 May1830 hrs (6:30 PM):
We will meet in Jacksonville at the Sonic Drive in at Phillips HWY and J Turner Butler Blvd for our annual pre-mission briefing and GTG. This is Optional as some of the crew will be arriving in Jacksonville that night and this serves as dinner. Others will be coming in later and going directly to their places of lodging.

Friday Morning 3 May
0600 (6:00 AM):
The bulk of the group will be departing the Gate Station located at Baymeadows Rd and San Jose Blvd. This is the normal meeting place for the TOD launches. This station has ethanol free gasoline available for those who wish to partake in it. It is also a loaded convenience store so munchies, drinks and ice can be purchased here as well. Departure will be at 0600 sharp. The folks coming in from out of town will need to make sure they have plenty of time to get snacks, potty, and do what they have to do upon arrival so that the group can leave on time. There may be a brief stop just north of Jacksonville at a Gate Station on Pecan Park rd to pick up some more Fl carabugvanners. this stop will be for less than 5 minutes. If we don't stop, they will be able to catch up easily as we all will have radios. Our route will be I-95 N to I-26W to I-40W to US 74W into Bryson City.

Friday mid-morning, 3 May 300 miles later:
We will be stopping an a yet to be determined location on I-26 west of Columbia South Carolina. This stop will be roughly 300 miles from the starting point and should take us under 5 hours. Probably more like 4 1/2. We can refuel and use the restrooms and grab a bite to eat here. We will stop for a maximum of one hour. Less if the group feels like it.

Friday Early Afternoon, 3 May 200 miles later:
We arrive in Bryson City. This should be before 1400 (2:00PM) in the afternoon. This gives us time to check in, get a snack, make arrangements with Subway at the foot of the hill for lunch pick up the next morning and explore the city for a bit. Some of us may take a nap!

This route is right under 500 miles and is a tad shorter distance than the Atlanta route. The biggest difference is we do not have to go through downtown Atlanta during the lunch rush hour and we will not be stopping for Lunch in Atlanta itself. While we adore our Atlanta friends, we would rather just keep bugging on as after 6 hours on the road we will all be anxious to go for just 1 hour more and then rest.

FRS radios will need fresh batteries and be tuned to channel 6 sub channel 0. It is highly recommended you invest in a set of these radios. Walmart and Target have them and they are essential for your safety and enjoyment of this event. Some of us have a few extras just in case anyone forgets or theirs or has a malfunction.

Please post weather you will be joining the Great Fl Carabugvan and where and when you are going to meet us ie: if you are coming in the night before or early morning Friday and meeting at the Gate station.

Chuckie

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It has also become somewhat of a tradition, that the FL crew meets up the Thursday night before we leave, for a meet and greet at Sonic on J.Turner Butler Blvd. A quick GtG, eats, a few laughs and off to our abodes in preparation for our early morning departure for Bryson City on Friday Morning.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
My take on this.

The route from Jacksonville to Bryson City is 50 miles shorter and 40 minutes quicker going up I-95 to I-26. This is per Google Maps and is mileage based only. I have driven both ways numerous times (we used to live in North Carolina) and 95 is much faster.

The trip through Atlanta is like going to the dentist with out Novocaine. The traffic around the metro area of Atlanta is crazy to say the least.

If we ran up I-95 and I-26 to I-40 we would be in Bryson City before 2:00 That's if we managed to leave Jacksonville at 0600. Going through Atlanta we would add at least 2 more hours and possibly 3 to the trip with the traffic and stopping for lunch and meeting the GA Carabugvan.

While I love big Carabugvans, and love my Atlanta Bug Buddies, I am not sure if it's worth 3 more hours on the road to do it. I'm starting to get old and 6 to 7 hours in the car is a lot more appealing to me than 8 or 10. It's right at 500 miles up I-95 and 550 up I-75 so it's a hundred miles shorter round trip.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Our family owns a "cabin" in NC and we've made many trips up that way. The 95 route does seem much faster when we do it that way. Atlanta traffic is awful no matter what time it is (have lots of family there too); but is much worse during the right hours.

There's my 2¢...add that up with Chuckie and you have 4¢...you're well on your way to a cup of joe...lol.

My only question is, where would we hook up with the Atlanta crew instead? I can't wait for the Carabugavan, it'll be my first (I presume it's Iggy's first too; but idk, her PO may have done one somewhere down the line).

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kristin, we meet the Atlanta crew outside the Mall of Georgia.

There was a friendly controversy last year as we took the bypass around ATL instead of going straight through. As one that has gone to T.O.D. every year and traveled straight through ATL vs. the bypass, the bypass was a few more miles but A LOT quicker time wise My wife and I were amazed on how quickly we got to the other side of Atlanta. We tend to hit ATL right when the traffic starts actin-a-fool which is late morning, going into the lunchtime hour.

Driving to ATL is sentimental to me, because that's the way I went for the T.O.D. maiden voyage. The trek via ATL was special and memorable to me; I made some very good friends, and our maiden voyage adventures will be forever memorable. However, I do realize the growth and scope of our FL carabugavan; it's no longer a caravan of one nB (me), but a larger group of what's looking like now 20 new beetles. We need to be respectful of everyone's time. Not only will we save time, but the drive will be less stressful. Governing 20 or so new beetles through Atlanta during late morning/early lunchtime traffic ain't no picnic.

If there's any consolation, the Atlanta group has grown as well and can arrive into Bryson City in grand fashion. So both groups would be sepearate, but still large in numbers. And the plus for me is that I'll be returning to Florida via Atlanta- Val's sister lives in Lawrenceville. So I'll be able to ride back with my maiden voyager buddies:D...yet, I'll be missing the ride back with my FL buddies...ARGGH! Torn between two loves; what's a man to do:p?

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Governing 20 or so new beetles through Atlanta during late morning/early lunchtime traffic ain't no picnic.
You are so right there...governing just one yourself alone through Atlanta during late morning/early lunchtime traffic ain't no picnic...lol :eek:

...ARGGH! Torn between two loves; what's a man to do:p?
The choice would be simple if I were to go straight back to Florida from ToD...you would have to go the same way I do because I am a woman and we are always right. Just ask one and she'll tell you it is true :cool:

Most likely team Iggy will be heading over to Boone after ToD if my sis-in-law's "cabin" is still available (as it stands right now it is, waiting on dh to make arrangements with her). The cabin sleeps like 14 or more so I guess we could just take the whole of team Florida with us except that would probably be a bit on the crowded side...lol

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
tap tap...is this thing on?

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Uh Huh

Sure is.

Al& Val, Wifey and I, and possibly Dave and Luann are going to be at the standard, pre-trip Sonic munch out on Thursday night and I was planning to get the final OK on the route and start this thread jumping on Monday when we get back from the land of Stomach Cramps. (SOB)

Hopefully the whole Florida contingent will be checking in and making this planetary extravaganza a success.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Have fun with your gastronomical extravaganza Chuckie. Wish I could be there instead of work :(

Can't wait to get this party started. Let's blow it up :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Have we got a route yet? Just wondering which direction I'll be heading to make my trip once I get out of Jax (especially if you let Jason and Herby set the pace because I will not be allowed to drive that fast with dh in the car so I will end up lost and alone :eek:).

I know we will all be following each other and all but I'm just curious where we will be while we follow each other...lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, I do have to say that I will miss the GA group for the ride up! Every trek I've made for TOD (this being the 3rd) was made thru GA to gather our fellow Beetle Fam. Alas, we R fortunate enuf to say that as the time has passed, we surely have grown...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Have we got a route yet? Just wondering which direction I'll be heading to make my trip once I get out of Jax (especially if you let Jason and Herby set the pace because I will not be allowed to drive that fast with dh in the car so I will end up lost and alone :eek:).

I know we will all be following each other and all but I'm just curious where we will be while we follow each other...lol
When going threw Missouri to TSD i was doing 85 behind Pat(p50) i felt like a criminal but it was awesome. You just tell dh to hang on to the Omg-we-r-gonna-die bar. Duct tape will also help. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuckie and Dave will give you the specifics, but we will be driving north on 95 that much I do know.

I too will miss riding up through Georgia. going this new route will help us get their butts quicker, and I'm sure it will help the Georgia crew too, because they don't have to wait for us to arrive to head up to Bryson City.

it will be different for sure, but it will be a great time nonetheless.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
When going threw Missouri to TSD i was doing 85 behind Pat(p50) i felt like a criminal but it was awesome. You just tell dh to hang on to the Omg-we-r-gonna-die bar. Duct tape will also help. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Nope. Nothing will work to stop his fun squelching when it comes to speeding. Duct tape will only help if I put a huge piece real tight over a washcloth stuffed in his mouth then use the rest to tie him up. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Chuckie and Dave will give you the specifics, but we will be driving north on 95 that much I do know.

I too will miss riding up through Georgia. going this new route will help us get their butts quicker, and I'm sure it will help the Georgia crew too, because they don't have to wait for us to arrive to head up to Bryson City.

it will be different for sure, but it will be a great time nonetheless.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide App
Cool. That sounds like a great plan. I like anything that gets us there faster ;)

And...you said "butts" huhuhuhu...butts.

Didja know there is a city in GA named Butts? We drive through it on our way up 75 when we are trekking northish. It always makes us giggle. There's a truck stop in Butts that has a big sign on the road that says "parking in rear." That always turns our giggles into peals of laughter. Lol :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
The Final Route......

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Bugaphiles of all ages.

The route for the Great Florida Carabugvan has been finalized.

Thursday night 2 May1830 hrs (6:30 PM):
We will meet in Jacksonville at the Sonic Drive in at Phillips HWY and J Turner Butler Blvd for our annual pre-mission briefing and GTG. This is Optional as some of the crew will be arriving in Jacksonville that night and this serves as dinner. Others will be coming in later and going directly to their places of lodging.

Friday Morning 3 May 0600 (6:00 AM):
The bulk of the group will be departing the Gate Station located at Baymeadows Rd and San Jose Blvd. This is the normal meeting place for the TOD launches. This station has ethanol free gasoline available for those who wish to partake in it. It is also a loaded convenience store so munchies, drinks and ice can be purchased here as well. Departure will be at 0600 sharp. The folks coming in from out of town will need to make sure they have plenty of time to get snacks, potty, and do what they have to do upon arrival so that the group can leave on time. There may be a brief stop just north of Jacksonville at a Gate Station on Pecan Park rd to pick up some more Fl carabugvanners. this stop will be for less than 5 minutes. If we don't stop, they will be able to catch up easily as we all will have radios. Our route will be I-95 N to I-26W to I-40W to US 74W into Bryson City.

Friday mid-morning, 3 May 300 miles later:
We will be stopping an a yet to be determined location on I-26 west of Columbia South Carolina. This stop will be roughly 300 miles from the starting point and should take us under 5 hours. Probably more like 4 1/2. We can refuel and use the restrooms and grab a bite to eat here. We will stop for a maximum of one hour. Less if the group feels like it.

Friday Early Afternoon, 3 May 200 miles later:
We arrive in Bryson City. This should be before 1400 (2:00PM) in the afternoon. This gives us time to check in, get a snack, make arrangements with Subway at the foot of the hill for lunch pick up the next morning and explore the city for a bit. Some of us may take a nap!

This route is right under 500 miles and is a tad shorter distance than the Atlanta route. The biggest difference is we do not have to go through downtown Atlanta during the lunch rush hour and we will not be stopping for Lunch in Atlanta itself. While we adore our Atlanta friends, we would rather just keep bugging on as after 6 hours on the road we will all be anxious to go for just 1 hour more and then rest.

FRS radios will need fresh batteries and be tuned to channel 6 sub channel 0. It is highly recommended you invest in a set of these radios. Walmart and Target have them and they are essential for your safety and enjoyment of this event. Some of us have a few extras just in case anyone forgets or theirs or has a malfunction.

Please post wether you will be joining the Great Fl Carabugvan and where and when you are going to meet us ie: if you are coming in the night before or early morning Friday and meeting at the Gate station.

Chuckie

1 - 20 of 81 Posts