NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone encountered a constant rattling above the passenger side of the rear seat area? It rattles constantly when in motion. I don't know if its in the roof liner or just at the beginning of the top of the hatch cover portion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes! :(

At first, I thought mine was because I got rear-ended the day I got my Beetle and they just couldn't fix something properly, but perhaps not... Come to think of it, I notice the rattling the most when I put the rear seats down and back up again, and until someone sits in the right rear seat...

Hmm. I'll check that tomorrow, see if it's just me or if the rattling really stops that way.

Either way, I'm going to have it checked when I take mine to the shop for yet another rattling in the sunroof and a clicking DSG when shifting into 2nd and 4th gears... But that's going to be in a month or so. Until then, I'll just keep cranking up the radio.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep us posted. The rattling is annoying. I have the clunky panoramic roof as well. Sometimes when it shuts it creaks and sounds as though its going to explode. I just don't have the time to visit the dealer yet.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

I finally dealt with my rattling issue. I removed the rear right hand side plastic pillar cover. Right side meaning passenger side not driverside. It goes from the trunk plastic to the roof liner, not very large. Turns out there are three clips that hold it on and one in the center of the molding was not connected from the factory. It is under a great deal of twisting stress, the mounting point seems to be slightly off and makes it difficult to engage. Once clipped in the rattling vanished. It is VERY easy to remove the pillar cover, just pry with your fingers around the edges until it pops off. Start at the top and move around and downward until the top and middle area are released and you will see the middle clip is the likely culprit. After you are done it simply pops back together and the trunk seal lip just fits back over. Do not use tools they are unnecessary. This process took about ten minutes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I finally dealt with my rattling issue. I removed the rear right hand side plastic pillar cover. Right side meaning passenger side not driverside. It goes from the trunk plastic to the roof liner, not very large. Turns out there are three clips that hold it on and one in the center of the molding was not connected from the factory. It is under a great deal of twisting stress, the mounting point seems to be slightly off and makes it difficult to engage. Once clipped in the rattling vanished. It is VERY easy to remove the pillar cover, just pry with your fingers around the edges until it pops off. Start at the top and move around and downward until the top and middle area are released and you will see the middle clip is the likely culprit. After you are done it simply pops back together and the trunk seal lip just fits back over. Do not use tools they are unnecessary. This process took about ten minutes.
Ok awesome. I will try this when I get home! Your rattle sounds just like mine, hoping that is what it is!

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update my post, my left side started rattling identically to the right rattle so here we go again. Not to mention the center arm console lid rattles unbelieveably now.This must happen to all Beetles 2012 plus. The latch does not pull the lid tight against the shell allowing it to rattle and bounce around while you drive. I'm either going to make a velvet gasket around the opening so it looks nice and shuts up or use clear bumpers to make the lid tight and quiet. This car sounds like a new beetle when its ten years old with all the different distinct rattles within the cabin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts