NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting this a little early but I want everyone to be aware of what they need to bring WAY in advance. And if things need to be added I can add it before it's too late. This is really a GREAT list to print out and check off as you are packing. You'd be amazed at the things you'd forget. Trust me...I've been there...:eek:

Things to bring for ToD

Clothes for however many days you'll be there. It'll be warm so bring shorts and tanks as well....nights may get a little chilly with the mountain air. So bring hoodies, and other warm items just in case for night times as well...

Toiletries
-tooth brush
-toothpaste
-comb/brush
-hair styling products (hairspray, gel, flat iron, blow dryer, etc)
-make-up
-deodorant
-shampoo/conditioner
-special items (contacts, solution, facial wash/cream, etc)

Comfortable driving/walking shoes.

2-way Radios. We'll be using channel 6...:) Don't forget the chargers or extra batteries for the Radios. They are our main line of communication. Without them, it's very hard to inform people of what's going on. Cell phone service is not very good up in the mountains for most carriers, hence why we use 2-way radios! I know they can be annoying, but please, keep them on and on you at all time while we're out driving the dragon. We've had a few people who left them in cars, didn't have them, or what not and it was really hard to communicate and some people got left behind. We don't want that happening again.

GPS/road maps/tour guides. Don't forget the charger for the GPS either or at least extra batteries. Would hate for someone to get lost!!

Folding chairs of some kind. There will be lots of folks gathering and I don't think there will be enough seats to accommodate everyone. So plan accordingly.

Cell phone & charger and Bluetooth & charger
. Let's keep talking hands free and driving safe ;) Even though service isn't the best up there, it's still good to have a cell phone on you.

Camera(s)
-batteries
-charger
-memory
-case

Camcorder/GoPro
-batteries
-charger
-memory
-case

Computer (if you choose)
-charger
-case
There is wifi at the Ridgetop, it's not always the best service, but it's there. And I'm sure it's at the other hotels as well.

Medications (Rx and over the counter). It is heavy pollen season right now, so make sure if you are allergic to that stuff, bring Benadryl or Mucinex or whatever so you don't suffer.

Umbrellas. It is still spring....It has rained at ToD before....

Cooler/snacks/water. I cannot stress this enough...It's a long trip. There aren't always gas stations around to stop at and even if there are.. I don't know if they can handle the volume of sales we would create, so please be prepared. We also don't stop for lunch on the Saturday drive on the Dragon, it's pretty much breakfast then drive. Please, please, PLEASE bring something with you to eat. Whether it's crackers, or a sandwich or something. We will stop and take pictures from time to time and that would be a perfect opportunity to grab a snack. We don't want anyone getting sick or "hangry" because they didn't get something to eat around lunch time.

Car wash products
-towels
-window cleaner
-leather cleaner
-sponges
-rainx
-bug-off
-wax
-quick detail
-tire shine
-interior cleaner
Whatever you choose to bring. You may just want to touch your car up, or you may want a FULL detail. Whatever. If you bring it with you, you won't be without!

Spending cash/quarters. Car washes only take quarters...might be good to have. There is a car wash just down the road from the Ridgetop. It's actually a decent little car wash but they do close early if I remember correctly.

iPod/MP3. Some kind of music. I'm sure on your trip here you'll want it and maybe while cruising the dragon as well. Make sure to bring it's charger too!

Emergency items.
-Jumper cables
-flashlight
-air pump
-air pressure gauge
-fix a flat
-zipties
-small tool kit (just in case)
-jack
-lug wrench
-oil
-G12 (coolant)
-spare tire
-any spare parts specific to your engine or problems you've had recently.
It sounds silly, but during GtG's is when VW's decide to break down. And a lot of times, it's something that has been showing signs before you go there. So please, bring whatever you can, just in case. Because most of us have the knowledge to replace or fix something, but we can't do it without the parts. You may not need any of these items while on the trip. We have had lots of random repairs needed to be done. We drive VW's, it's bound to happen! ;)

That's all I can think of at this moment. You may need different things depending on the length of your trip and what not.

CAMPING!

For those that are camping, I guess it goes without saying. You'll need a tent, a blanket, pillow or sleeping bag of some sort. Don't forget your stakes to hold down your tent! Maybe an extension cord? I don't remember if there are hookups that you can borrow from, but just in case, it probably wouldn't hurt. Also, bring a flashlight or some sort of light so you can see in your tent at night! Other than that.....have fun!

***Gasser NB's, I have been informed that Saturday morning, you should start with a FULL tank of gas. Given the amount of driving and fuel economy, it would be wise to have as much as possible from the beginning. Like I said, there aren't always gas stations near by!! The Shell station is just down the hill from the Ridgetop, you can fill up before going to breakfast or just after. Either way.

***TDI's....depending on how far you have to drive to get there.....you may or may not need to fill up at all over the weekend. There is a Shell station at the bottom of the hill by the Ridge Top. Diesel is available there! But don't count on it everywhere, as I'm sure you all know how scarce Diesel can be....

*~*~*~MOST IMPORTANT~*~*~*
PLEASE let someone know where you are and what you are doing when we stop for food/snacks/gifts after the Dragon. I don't want anyone missing out on anything or getting lost or left behind because we didn't know they were inside grabbing a snack or another gift or whatever. We want to stay as a group and have fun. Please, I can't stress this enough, it's important that someone knows where you are and what you're doing. It can get very confusing with such a large group! There is a LOT going on!

SNACKS! SNACKS! SNACKS! SNACKS!
I cannot stress this enough. Please bring snacks! Whether it a small snack, or a sack lunch, whichever, you WILL need it on Saturday. I promise you that!

$2 bills!!
Also, if you're interested in carrying on a new tradition, make sure to stock up on some $2 bills. There will probably be a few people there with the new beetle stamps, if you don't have your own. It seems silly, but it easily made the headlines in one year. A $2 bill is something you don't forget!!! :D
If you know of anything else to be added, let me know, I'll update the list as needed

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Great List Michelle,

Just for to let everyone know, We found and talked to the owner of the gas station next to the Neon Pig. He has 94 octane and 92 octane NO ETHANOL gasoline for sale.

The week we were there on RECON his 94 was tested by the state and showed 97 octane and his 92 measured at 94. Dave filled his car up and was smiling like a diabetic in a candy store the whole time he was running that stuff. His mileage was great. I think to the point it payed for itself. His diesel was 2¢ higher than the Shell station and since he is FULL SERVICE it was well worth the extra 28¢ a tank to support the small business man who takes care of us.

Also, I have ordered 4 more of the stamps for the $2.00 bills.

Chuckie

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Definitely bring the two (2) dollar bills. Start stockpiling them now and maybe every month empty out the ToD fund jar and swap out the change and ones with some of these.

It's one of my favorite parts of the trip. Just the look on folks faces when you hand them a two dollar bill is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Guess I'll need to invest in some 2 ways before May (or find a friender lender...lol).

I'm a little confused though...what is the tradition with the $2 bills??? :confused:

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
$2.00 Bills.

Bryson City is a small town in the mountains of North Carolina. Last year a few of us showed up with two dollar bills that we stamped with a New Beetle logo. All the venders thought they were cute. More importantly, that small town bank was probably buried in them for a couple weeks afterwards! it's a fun way to let the town know how much of an impact we have on their society.

If you give your bank a weeks notice or so, they can order them from their cash vaults and sell them to you. Once we get to the hotel we can have a bill stamping party. The more we have do it, the more they realize we were there. Plus it's fun to watch peoples faces when we pay for everything, food, fuel, lodging, and souvenirs with these goofy bills!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the info. My Mother-in-law has always given all the grandchildren $2 bills for their birthdays. I know mine still have all of theirs. Nice to know that now I will have a reason to get some of my own...lol

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Das Beetle Bucks.....

We are coming down to the one week mark for TOD. If you want to be involved in the Beetle Bucks $2.00 program, now is the time to get cracking. I will have 3 stamps with me. My bills will already be stamped. I will have the stamps with me for the Florida Carabugvan folks to use at the Thursday Night Sonic Adventure as well as during the ride up. At the Top the stamps will be there for all to use as well. I also think Ed has his stamp made also.

Your bank can get you two dollar bills. They may need to order them from their cash vaults and require a few days for them to be delivered. If they won't get them for you tell them you may need to use a bank that can! My local branch, surprisingly, had enough on hand for me today!

With the record breaking crowd this year at TOD we can really let the town see our economic impact with the Beetle Bucks program!

Chuckie

Attachments

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,404 Posts
2014 Bump...this was very useful tonight. :)

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for bumping this Warren, didn't see a sense in making a new list since I think this is pretty complete. :) Though I am ALWAYS open to adding things to the list too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts