NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in California, looking at a 2013 R-Line w/Manual trans in Boise, ID. Great prices, and we put a deposit on it. I remembered to ask if it was OK for sale in California, and the saleperson wasn’t sure.

She sent me a photo of the emissions sticker under the hood, but it only says N/A in the California row. The California DMV site isn’t terribly clear, and the person I talked to at the California Air Resources Board didn’t seem to know a thing.

Does anyone know if all VWs are 50 State Cars?

This is the sticker -

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
One thing is for sure; they wouldn't offer the car for sale; if it didn't meet California's strict emission standards, however there maybe different emissions equipped models sold in different states. It used to be; there were "California" smog equipped cars and then the rest of the states... this may or may not still be the case. I would just call VW and see what they say (make sure you have the VIN # of the car on hand). When I moved to Cali and had a non Cali smogged car; I was charged a "environmental impact fee", when I registered my car. This is something I would research; as whatever money you are saving by buying out of state; maybe offset by any added costs when registering your vehicle.

I would just contact VW directly and ask:

VW Information Center

Whether you need more info about our cars or have a comment about our site, you're in the right place.

Call 1-800-DRIVE-VW

8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad News -

Thanks billymade - I called and got the answers I needed. Just not the answers I wanted... I won't be bringing home the Silver manual R-Line from Idaho. :(

Hoping we'll find another one that's PZEV that can be brought into California! :)

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
So, for the benefit of everyone here; what did VW say? Can you bring a Beetle "R" model into Cali; can you buy a California emission compliant Beetle R? Is VW selling the Beetle R; in California at all? Would you have to pay; the environmental impact fee to get it into California as well? Any info appreciated! Sorry, your plan didn't work out and you had to back out of the deal! :-(

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm pretty sure that only the tdi's are 50 state cars.
The others will be epa or carb.
You can usually register a non carb used car, I don't think a new one would work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, for the benefit of everyone here; what did VW say? Can you bring a Beetle "R" model into Cali; can you buy a California emission compliant Beetle R? Is VW selling the Beetle R; in California at all? Would you have to pay; the environmental impact fee to get it into California as well? Any info appreciated! Sorry, your plan didn't work out and you had to back out of the deal! :-(
You can't bring a new car into California unless it meets the standards. If it doesn't meet standards, it has to have at least 7500 miles on the clock. I can buy an R model, or any other car, as long as it's listed as PZEV. Washington, Oregon, and New Mexico also require PZEV, so those cars are available in places besides Cali. There are R models showing in transit to California, but so far all are automatic.

We're working with the dealer in Boise to see about ordering a 2014 R Line with a manual. The price will be higher than a 2013, but I guess we'll have time to save more money since it'll take a few months to get here. :)

If anyone in the North West is shopping for an R Line with a manual trans, there's a beautiful silver one in Boise with a pretty competitive price tag...

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Thanks for the info; if in fact you bring a used car into Cali with non pzev; do you have to pay a environmental "impact fee"? As I noted before; it was a one time fee, I had to pay... I don't know if this still is the case anymore. This was in the early 90s.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Good luck with the CA issues.

You have to realize that convertibles are far fewer in number than other body styles, so many times the manufacturer will make all convertibles 50 state cars so there is not a small number that have to be specially built.

It may also be that VW decided to only make the convertible model in an automatic again due to the smaller numbers along with the fact that people that actually know how to drive a manual transmission car are declining rapidly as well.

All I can say, based upon my research, I do not live in CA or an area that requires PZEV cars, but I would NEVER purchase a PZEV car as many times they have specialty emission parts that are crazy expensive to replace and depending on the car model the parts may be very scarce and hard to find.

That being said, you should look VERY closely at the PZEV specific component warranty. Many of the PZEV specific components may be warranted for as long as 15 years/150,000 miles??

But what I will also tell you is if you end up with a PZEV car with the longer warranty for the PZEV specific components, sell the car at least 1 year or 15000 miles before the PZEV warranty runs out unless you have fully researched the PZEV component costs.

Case in point, BMW had a 325 series car with 15 year/150,000 warranty on the special emission parts. The fuel pump and fuel filter, although not really part of the special emission parts was enclosed in a fully sealed stainless steel fuel tank that cost $6500 just in parts!!!

So you have a 15+ year old car that the fuel pump fails and you go to get your fuel pump replaced and find out the fuel pump/tank costs more than the car is worth!!

Pretty sickening situaiton!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info; if in fact you bring a used car into Cali with non pzev; do you have to pay a environmental "impact fee"? As I noted before; it was a one time fee, I had to pay... I don't know if this still is the case anymore. This was in the early 90s.
No, I'm pretty sure there's no more environmental impact fee. There was a whole lot of negative attention on that practice, and there may have been a lawsuit or two. At some point it was overturned and some people that paid it got refunded.

We bought a Touareg in Utah last year and brought it home. We had to get a smog check to register it (it is a 2012 and had 10,000 miles on it when we registered it here) but that's the only thing we had to do.

·
Love my TDi
19 Posts
California is dorky about bringing in out of state cars, last time I knew you get charged that stupid EIF..which is BS...I wouldn't buy an out of CA car cos of the hassle is can bring. Going by that tag, it's a 49 state car not a 50.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Registering a Vehicle From Out of State Checklist

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

lol don't get me started on CARB...they're...well, I don't like them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a CA legal R-Line Manual

The PZEV cars meet the CA requirements, and a few other states require them too. A dealer in Ft Worth, TX found one for us in Platinum Gray. Excellent price, and still a bargain after the travel costs to fly out & drive it home.

I'm on my way back to So Cal now. I can't wait to get it home and clean all the bugs & mud from the rain off!

The 2.0 Turbo is so much better than the '04 1.8 Turbo convertible I had before, and I love the 6 speed manual. It's definitely a get acquainted ride when the trip home from the dealer is over 1400 miles

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Wow! Very cool; that you found a Beetle that met your needs and desires! Please post up some pics of your new ride; when you get a chance! Your little trip home; is a great way to get acquainted and "break in" your new Beetle Turbo! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts