VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car beeps and flashes that my convertible top is open, when it is actually closed and completely locked. When I open it all the way, it states that is is not open as well. I assume it is a bad sensor buy dont know what kind of sensor I am looking for. Has anyone else has this problem?

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
Correct diagnosis is key; we see sensors being a issue on the New Beetle convertible but it makes sense, it is only a matter of time the similar problem would crop up in the last A5 series models.

Getting a factory vw level scan tool; to diagnose things, read trouble codes and view live data, would be the first step. Here is a video, going over; how the New Beetle top works and how VCDS can help find, pinpoint the problem.

The A5 diag process would likely be the same using vcds and the failure issues maybe similar.

HEX-V2
Intelligent Dual-K plus CAN USB Interface

Getting access to the vw factory service manuals;’would help you understand the overall top operation and where the sensors are located. No one has published any paper manuals for us to refer you to; VW is the only publisher at this point and has provided them in digital .pdf format.

You can access this service info from the VW eRWin site, pay for 24 hours access, download the manuals or get a consumer level subscription from AllDara or Mitchell1.

Once, you figure out the location and which sensors are causing the problem, by trouble codes; some have tried, spraying them with electrical contact cleaner to remove any dirt, possibly causing a contact problem or if they don’t respond to cleaning, they may need replaced. Your local vw dealers parts dept; should be able to get you any parts you need.

Here us a contact cleaner i use with good results; cheaper @ Walmart:

CRC 05103 QD Electronic Cleaner -11 Wt Oz

1 - 2 of 2 Posts