VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!! I’m new to this forum. About a month ago or so I purchased a 2013 VW beetle. I absolutely love this little car! It’s supwe fun to drive however, I just recently noticed a leak under the passengers side. The only reason why I noticed this is because I started parking the car in the driveway instead of the garage. Does anyone know what it could be? What component is in that side?
Thank you!

Car Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive side-view mirror

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked what the fluid leaking is and identify it?

what is the status of the leak; does it occur, when the engine is running or when, the a/c is turned on?
Thank you for your input! I have not checked what the fluid is yet. My husband first thought it was grease since it has a thick consistency but I’m not sure since it’s a 9 year old car. Could be old oil.
From what I can tell, it only leaks when it’s parked and in the driveway. It doesn’t leak when it’s in the garage and I assume it’s not as hot as it is outside.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
One trick to help identify the liquid. Get a white paper towel, just blot a small amount, and take note of the color.

Pinkish, greenish, = coolant , leaking heater core
Browinish = water, from plugged ac line ,leaking sunroof or leaking windshield

Thick Oily black= rustproofing (tar like) it won’t wipe away or clean up without major effort.
Oily black thin,= contamination from outside source, both oil sources can be outside contamination tracked into the car from elsewhere.

I would guess since it looks like you have a piano roof that it’s leaking when it rains.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One trick to help identify the liquid. Get a white paper towel, just blot a small amount, and take note of the color.

Pinkish, greenish, = coolant , leaking heater core
Browinish = water, from plugged ac line ,leaking sunroof or leaking windshield

Thick Oily black= rustproofing (tar like) it won’t wipe away or clean up without major effort.
Oily black thin,= contamination from outside source, both oil sources can be outside contamination tracked into the car from elsewhere.

I would guess since it looks like you have a piano roof that it’s leaking when it rains.
Thank you!!!! The color is like yellowish, greenish. Texture is like a thick, sticky, grease ish.
It’s odd that it just leaks when it’s parked on the driveway and not in the garage or at work.
It has rained and have washed the car a few times since we bought it and there are no leaks from the roof.
again, thank you!! 😀

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Open your hood, what color is the coolant in the coolant ball? VW coolant should be pink or purplish, if it’s green or yellow someone has added aftermarket coolant. Keep watch of your coolant level see if it goes down.

Is there any chance that you are tracking something into the car because it’s parked next to a resinous bush or tree?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Open your hood, what color is the coolant in the coolant ball? VW coolant should be pink or purplish, if it’s green or yellow someone has added aftermarket coolant. Keep watch of your coolant level see if it goes down.

Is there any chance that you are tracking something into the car because it’s parked next to a resinous bush or tree?
I’ll check when I get home today and will reply. There are no trees near where I park at work or at home.
I might take the little car to get it looked at this week. Will also reply with any updates!
Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll check when I get home today and will reply. There are no trees near where I park at work or at home.
I might take the little car to get it looked at this week. Will also reply with any updates!
Thanks!
Coolant is pink. I parked the car in the garage and there is no leak anymore. Here is a picture of what it looks like. My husband seems to think maybe it’s bondo used to help with the rust. The car had one previous owner in Florida before me buying the car in Texas.
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Orange

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Coolant is pink. I parked the car in the garage and there is no leak anymore. Here is a picture of what it looks like. My husband seems to think maybe it’s bondo used to help with the rust. The car had one previous owner in Florida before me buying the car in Texas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you checked what the fluid leaking is and identify it?

what is the status of the leak; does it occur, when the engine is running or when, the a/c is turned on?

I parked the car in the garage and there is no leak anymore. Here is a picture of what it looks like. My husband seems to think maybe it’s bondo used to help with the rust. The car had one previous owner in Florida before I bought the car in Texas.

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
Pink color fluid; is the color of vw specific coolant. The passenger side of the engine; is where the water pump is, a common source of coolant leaks. If this is the case, the coolant; will typically, come out from under the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. Coolant leaks that have been going on for awhile; may have pink, crusty looking residue, in the leaking area (keep an eye out for this).

If pinpointing the leak is hard to pinpoint; a cooling system pressure tester, can help, find it by making the coolant actively leak out.

I use this one from harbor freight but there are many other out there, you will need the correct adapter to screw into the coolant tank/bottle:

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,694 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pink color fluid; is the color of vw specific coolant. The passenger side of the engine; is where the water pump is, a common source of coolant leaks. If this is the case, the coolant; will typically, come out from under the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. Coolant leaks that have been going on for awhile; may have pink, crusty looking residue, in the leaking area (keep an eye out for this).

If pinpointing the leak is hard to pinpoint; a cooling system pressure tester, can help, find it by making the coolant actively leak out.

I use this one from harbor freight but there are many other out there, you will need the correct adapter to screw into the coolant tank/bottle:

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Thank you! I’ll look into this. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which engine do you have(?); the 2.0T is notorious for the water-pump and thermostat plastics cracking and leaking.

If this is the case, you might consider; upgrading, to a revised metal version.

It’s a 2.5 I believe - 2013 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L PZEV / 2.5L PZEV Fender Edition
Which engine do you have(?); the 2.0T is notorious for the water-pump and thermostat plastics cracking and leaking.

If this is the case, you might consider; upgrading, to a revised metal version.

Well, I think it’s 2.5 maybe. Here is what it shows: 2013 Volkswagen Beetle 2.5L PZEV / 2.5L PZEV Fender Edition

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
Ok, that is a different engine; i would do a visual inspection and see if you can find, where it’s leaking from. If you cannot find it, a cooling system pressure tester; would be next to try to pinpoint the source of the leak.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, that is a different engine; i would do a visual inspection and see if you can find, where it’s leaking from. If you cannot find it, a cooling system pressure tester; would be next to try to pinpoint the source of the leak.

Got it and will do! Again, thanks so much!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think you’re ok, it looks like someone put some rustproofing on the car. Perhaps they were from up north and had a home in Florida. Or maybe they bought the car from someone who lives up north, at any rate I would monitor it but at this point I wouldn’t be to excited about it.

There are coatings like fluid film and others that go on as a wax like substance and they will liquify somewhat in the heat.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Bondo is a substance used to patch holes caused by rust or accidents, and once cured it’s hard. Your car being a 13 with at least part of its existence in Florida sand now Texas should have absolutely no rust anywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you’re ok, it looks like someone put some rustproofing on the car. Perhaps they were from up north and had a home in Florida. Or maybe they bought the car from someone who lives up north, at any rate I would monitor it but at this point I wouldn’t be to excited about it.

There are coatings like fluid film and others that go on as a wax like substance and they will liquify somewhat in the heat.
Thank you! That makes sense. I will keep an eye on it and keep checking. It has been a great car so far and I love it. It’s unbelievable we bought it with only 46K miles, mint condition and is a 2013. 😃

1 - 20 of 23 Posts