NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did I make a huge mistake getting the 2014 5-cyl automatic? The transmission shifts prematurely into upper gears, according to the mechanic, an attempt to comply with the CAFE standards for gas mileage. Frequently, I'm stuck in 5th or 6th with rpm under 800 and the engine languishing. I have to stomp the gas peddle to force it into a lower gear. I thought it curious the way our salesman kept emphasizing the manual shift option when driving in lieu of automatic. Now I know why. The engine is peppy enough, but I should have gotten standard transmission.

Our dealer mechanic said there aren't any ways to adjust the shift points and he was unaware of any after market devices that might improve the gear ranges.

Anyone have any ideas?

Should I be concerned about engine wear while it's under strain at these lower rpm?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
Is it a standard auto or the DSG?

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Do you have sport mode?

I wouldn't be concerned about premature wear. Better mileage is a good thing. But if you have an S below your D on your shifter, try that to see if you like it better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the Sport mode around town, but often forget to switch back to auto on the freeway.

Do you have sport mode?

I wouldn't be concerned about premature wear. Better mileage is a good thing. But if you have an S below your D on your shifter, try that to see if you like it better.

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
I use the Sport mode around town, but often forget to switch back to auto on the freeway.

So is the sport mode any better? Or more to your liking? That's the beauty of the different modes. I wish D was S and S was D so I could change it just when I'm on the highway or want better mileage. I spend most of my time in S though. It's more fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Sport mode is better. The only downside is my forgetting to shift into D on the freeway.

The manual shifting, my experience, is just bizarre. It's not manual, it's not automatic, so has the worst of both worlds. (or the best of both worlds, depending on how you look at it)

So is the sport mode any better? Or more to your liking? That's the beauty of the different modes. I wish D was S and S was D so I could change it just when I'm on the highway or want better mileage. I spend most of my time in S though. It's more fun.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,974 Posts
Sounds like you may have a DSG. A DSG is an automated manual transmission, so its not like your typical auto. There are definitely some adjustments that need to be made when driving one. I don't have one so I can't really help you with that. But I know there is a lot of discussion out there on them and the best ways to drive with them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I'll do a little research on the best way to drive a DSG.

I mis-spoke in claiming that the Sport mode is an improvement. Did much more driving this afternoon using Sport mode. It's a no-go. The shifting is too rough for one, and it tries to down-shift when coming off the gas rather than coast in 6th gear.

I'm coming back to my concern that I've made a big mistake with automatic on a Beetle.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Hmmmmm Maybe I am weird....

I absolutely love my 6 speed DSG in my Beetle. It's a 2013 and maybe the reason it does so well is it's a diesel and has so much torque (power) at the low end of the rpm scale.

When I put it into sport mode it revs like crazy to max out the shifting curves. I leave it in regular drive mode almost all the time except when I am tear assing around the mountains and driving exclusively with the paddle shifters.

I have never driven a 2.5 gas Beetle so I can't speak for that one. So far I love it in the B-13 Beetle and 2013 Jetta.

Chuckie

·
Beetle Minion
92 Posts
Thanks, I'll do a little research on the best way to drive a DSG.

I mis-spoke in claiming that the Sport mode is an improvement. Did much more driving this afternoon using Sport mode. It's a no-go. The shifting is too rough for one, and it tries to down-shift when coming off the gas rather than coast in 6th gear.

I'm coming back to my concern that I've made a big mistake with automatic on a Beetle.
Well, if you want that much control over shifting, then you are definitely a stick shift candidate. I know automatics are programmed one way, and you can either like it or not. On my F150 I can reprogram the automatic shift points to my liking, not sure if that's an option on the Beetle.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain the 2.5 is not available with the DSG. Should be reserved for TDI and 2.0T only.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts