NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Fall here I've started looking for a set of winter tires for my spare, stock 16" wheels. I know that 205/55-16 is the stock size for these wheels, but after some research, I've found that the size: 205/60-16 are a lot less expensive than the stock sized tires however the 60 series tires are about 3/4" larger in diameter than the 55 series.

My question is "has anyone had any experiences with the 205/60 16 tires?" My concerns are centered around tire rub, not being able to turn lock-to-lock, etc

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
When i bought tires for my '05 a few months back accidently put 205/60 -16s on, I didnt even notice the difference until they called because the tire was more expensive than the tire i bought :). I have not had any rub or wear issues with them.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 05yellowbeetle. It's great to get "real-world" experience & replies. I wouldn't think it would be any problem but just wanted to check with the org to be sure before I buy them.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
Has anyone put 215/55-16's on a NB? My speedo reads a bit fast and I'd like to go a bit taller to correct it.

LM
How fast? Its designed to read a bit faster. Your odometer is calibrated properly though.

I think you can change speedo calibrations in VAG-COM. Much easier than swapping tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine reads 3-4mph fast per the GPS on my droid. I wont rush right out and buy new tires, but I'd like to upsize when I need new ones because the 215's look small and the wheel wells need filling. What size did you go to? I'd like to know what the largest size is that would work on these rims without any rubbing.

LM

·
Registered
30 Posts
We run 60's on our Beetle for more ground clearance. It goes to a lot of rough driveways and roads. I also have a 1" lift kit though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts