NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.8T NBC, and the 20k service is coming up. Does anyone have any opinions as to what is truly necessary to perform, based on what is recommended in the VW manual?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Oil change, oil filterchange, air cabin filter change, fuel filter change. lubricate your headlight rails. check air pressure, check rotors and pads. Lubricate anything you're willing to.

That sounds pretty good to me.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Add, check all fluid levels; power steering, brake, and coolant levels. Check air filter.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
You can probably skip the fuel filter change until 40 k miles service. Check your spare tire pressure.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Yeah, I guess you could put that one off. Good point.

I tried to include the things that didn't really take much effort, like .. y'know, visually inspecting the brakes doesn't take 2 minutes to check all 4. etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I have noticed that VW's maintenance is much more aggressive than Honda's. My Acura doesn't require a timing belt replacement till 105000 miles. I guess this is what people mean when they say German cars cost more to maintain.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
German cars just require a bit more finesse and gentleness. Heck even the air cooled beetles needed valve adjustments, carb adjustments, seal replacements, torsion tube greasing, wheel bearing stuff, etc.

It is just a fact of owning a VW...you need to stay on top of maintenance and know your vehicle and its motor. It's an even tradeoff for driving such a cool car though:warmfuzi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts