NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GENETIX RACING
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Anybody Know When The New 1.8T Beetles Changed Valves Or Are They All 20v Cause Some Sites Say That 1998 And Up To 2000 Where Only 5v Engines. I Have 2000 I Hope Its 20v. And They Say That The 2001's Have More Boost THEN THE 2000'S Is That True

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
20V and 5V mean the same thing. 20 is the number of valves total. 5 is the number of valves per cylinder.

The 2000 and earlier APH model engine does not have less boost. They develop the exact same power as the 2001+ turbo models. The difference lies in the smaller turbocharger and injectors, which prevent the APH from achieving the same performance when "chipped" as the newer AWV model.

The Turbo S has higher boost and develops up to 180HP. It is the same engine code as the GTI/Jetta: AWP.

Even Germans do not capitalize every word in a sentence.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
5v per cylinder. = 20 valves.

every 1.8t follows that layout, always has. I've never seen it explained as a 5v engine, since that's only one cylinder, but it's all the same really.

And yes, you have an APH motor. the weakest one they made.
You hav smaller injectors, smaller turbo, and no variable valve timing (used for idle situations to help Emissions).

noR

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
thats y u go ditch out money for a aeb head hehe

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
You would need to upgrade the turbocharger and the injectors.. that take care of the majority of the difference between AWV and APH (the VVT is for emmissions, it's not like it's VTEC or anything).

Of course, why would you want to match an AWV or AWP? If you're going that far, then get a bigger turbo and bigger injectors and just go Big Turbo software with Revo or Unitronic.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Speaking of Uni... they do dyno tuning akin to Jabba in the UK, right?

Any shops in California?

·
GENETIX RACING
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I Thought About That Goin For Bigger Injectors And Turbo So Guess I Will Do That. Soon I Will Have A Super Sleeper
My License Plate Will Say "zzzzz" Hehe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts