NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Not to sure about the beetles 88 years into the future, but I would spray some WD-40 into the lock... if they have it in your time! hehe

I kid, just poking at your thread title, "2101"! But yeah, I would try some WD-40!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Better yet, try powdered graphite. Messy, but works better and lasts longer than WD-40.
Yup,head to Walmart and pick up a tube of graphite key lock powder (less than $3.50). It's in the automotive department right on the counter where they cut the keys.

:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
door lock

OK I TRIED WD 40 THAT DID'T WORK I AM GOING TO GET SOME GRAPHITE AND TRY THAT IF THAT DOES NOT WORK HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE THE LOCK AND DO I HAVE TO GET IT FROM THE DEALER.tHANKS

·
:)
837 Posts
OK I TRIED WD 40 THAT DID'T WORK I AM GOING TO GET SOME GRAPHITE AND TRY THAT IF THAT DOES NOT WORK HOW HARD IS IT TO REPLACE THE LOCK AND DO I HAVE TO GET IT FROM THE DEALER.tHANKS
In the steering wheel?

That is an entire system replacement. If you replace the ignition key, you have to change the switch and the doors, and all of your keys.

Try a different key. If the key is the problem it may be damaging the entry in the steering wheel. A new top fob to your key must be factory ordered to match your VIN and your system reprogrammed (about $60).

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
lithium grease is what we used at the dealership. if its tugging like its hard to pull out you may need to have an entire key system. the hard part is reprogramming the system because a dealership will have to do it.

it kind of stinks that thats one thing the dealership still has control over.

-jd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
door key

Well that don't sound good. Anyone know about what the hold job will cost; Thanks

·
My other VW is a VW
141 Posts
I am assuming that it is the ignition cylinder we are talking about.
If so the cylinder can be replaced. The dealer can order one via VIN that matches your current key. It is a bit involved to have it installed so I would definitely consult your dealership.

·
:)
837 Posts
I would say around $200-$300 in repairs for the ignition cylinder replacement

BUT let's not get ahead of ourselves.

How about we try another key first? Maybe it's the key itself. If it is, then your problem is replacing the upper key fob and programming it at the dealership. This will have to be ordered and costs $60, as I previously stated.
Not working? Try some lubricant. There are three listed in the replies that are cheap and readily available. :)

So before we start going crazy, lets not make a mess out of a possible $5 fix, no? If its a 2011 beetle I doubt it needs all the locks changed if its one problematic thing going on.

And, breathe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
door key

Tanks for all the help i will try everything;ther are a lot of good people on here God Bless You All.Thanks Again

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts