VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, so I am guessing I have pushed my luck far enough... I have an 01 NB TDI with 228,000 miles on original Timing Belt. Belt inspection still looks good, should I change it out or let it go and keep and eye on it? What belt is the best?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Change it NOW!

Are you sure that's the original belt and everything? For it to be a 13 year old belt with that many miles, there is no way that it isn't cracked up badly. Hubby's '01 Jetta TDI belt looked awful 2 1/2 years ago when he got it, and it only had 114k on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I bought the car new and have been the only driver it is thirteen years old and has 228,000 miles. It is mostly highway miles and has never been driven hard. I understand it should look bad from what I have read from other posts and what others have experienced, but mine doesnt look that bad.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
You are really pushing your luck. 100k is the greatest interval on the belts. And at 13 years old, it really should have been done at least twice by now even on that fact alone.

I hope you've been keeping up with other maintenance on it like the oil changes and fuel filters!

You need to get this car to a TDI Guru and get the belt, water pump, etc. changed ASAP. Also, as a note, its not usually the belt that fails but the tensioner, rollers, or water pump. And you can't inspect those. Get all those changed out and get it done properly. Then make sure you get it done again in 5 years or 100k, whichever you hit first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, all routine maintenace has been strictly adhered to with oil and filter changes, I just never saw the need to change the TB with it not showing any detrimental wear or signs. I will be performing all the work to change the belt. I will be purchasing a kit to do this with all the reuired parts as you listed some of them, is there a "preferred" kit to purchase, or what is the best one to get?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also at this point I would guess that I have saved enough by not changing it twice already that I could splurge a little and get the best, which i would do anyway. I have looked at the Blauparts and IDparts kits, i was just wondering what others with experience would recommend for which one to get or who to get the kit from. Thank you for your input, I know I should have changed it already, but.....:D

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Those are good vendors. ECSTuning also has good kits. Make sure you get the tensioner, rollers, motor mount bolts, and G12. There are how-to's over on TDIclub and myturbodiesel.com. You'll also need VAG-COM.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I"ve purchased two Blauparts timing belt "enhanced plus") kits in the past couple of months and installed them both (1.8T and 2.0L); it is the best quality, value TB/WP kit, that I have ever purchased or used. They also; will rent you the TDI timing belt tool set; this tool set is highly recommended to do the job correctly. Check out the tool rental kit here; be sure to get the correct one, based on your engine code:

Audi Timing Belt Tools – VW Timing Belt Tools

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have taken a couple of pics to show how good of shape the belt is in at 228K, but cant figure out how to upload them. I have ordered the new belt "kit" all inclusive from DieselGeek as I ordered one of his panzer splash pan "kits" and truly love it, my old plastic splash pan bit the dust a few years back and I finally lost the alternator a few weeks back due to water ingestion, had it rebuilt and back in and running, so the newly installed Panzer splash pan wil lhelp with that issue. Hopefully these will help keep me running for another 228K!!!! is there a way to post the pics?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
After you type your post, before you hit submit, scroll down and find the manage attachments, click and find browse, find your pic and hit upload. After its loaded, hit post.That's about it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Fixmyvw.com
Andrew is a tdi expert in ye Atlanta area. I have met him and been to his shop. I ordered my timing belt kit from him today. All the best parts and lowest prices with free shipping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car was bought new in November 2000, they hadnt even taken it off the delivery truck yet as we were doing the paperwork. 228K miles later and here are the pics of the timing belt. Adult driven, and I can honestly say I bet the car hasnt been over 3000 RPM more than I can count on one hand. Thank you for the input and help.

Attachments

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
You really should get the revs up sometimes. Its actually good for the car. Babying it can actually hurt the car - get a lot of oil in the intercooler and hurt the turbo resulting in a runaway. Not good. Give it a good hard drive on occasion. It will be happy.

Has the water pump ever been replaced? I still find it hard to believe the belt looks that good being original. And that the water pump lasted that long.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shes all original, a few sets of tires and brakes and a battery, one Mass Air Flow sensor, the alternator that failed I believe due to splash pan being broken and had to remove it and it got water ingestion. Routine maintenance at 10K miles with Mobile 1 synthetic, and new filters. Never anything mechanical on the engine. If anything ever happens to her I have said it 100 times, I will buy another TDI...:cool::D

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
While the timing belt; looks in "good shape", you also have to consider the wear and condition of all the components in the timing belt path (e.g. tensioner, idler pulley, water pump,etc.), if ANY of those components fail... you would have a catastrophic failure. I am glad; you are changing it, it seems you take care of your vehicles and you were lucky your timing belt/other components has such a amazing, long life (nothing failed in all those years/miles)! :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
^ What he said!

As an FYI, if you have a manual transmission, your belt is a 60k belt frm the factory. Auto, 40k. You are definitely way overdue. Make sure you keep up with it in the future. Its very important. You got lucky this time.

·
Yellow Ducky
98 Posts
OK, so I am guessing I have pushed my luck far enough... I have an 01 NB TDI with 228,000 miles on original Timing Belt. Belt inspection still looks good, should I change it out or let it go and keep and eye on it? What belt is the best?
This is a little late but My Bug, Yellow Ducky, is at 161,553 miles and on the second timing belt and Water pump.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts