VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing a caliper on my 1.8 turbo beetle . The replacement caliper has a spring attached on the out side for the Emergency brake mechanism . My originals had no spring attached, but holes available for the spring. Some replacements have springs some don't what's the difference ? Are they the same ? TX.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Are we talking about the rear brakes?

Does the spring look like this?

If this is it these devices are supposed to be a help in returning the caliper to a full open position after you release the e brake lever. So your rear brakes don’t drag, which is a very common problem with the MK4 platform.

I tried them once and was less than impressed, I would make sure that my caliper pins were greased and the caliper was fully releasing if your brakes are operating properly you won’t need these, if not they seem to be a band aid at best.

I’ve noticed that most rear brake calipers have those holes, I’ve only ever seen those springs on my own vehicle after my brief experience with them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Exactly. I figured it was something like that! I've owned this car since new and never was impressed with the e brake . I've always had issues with them when doing brake work. The springs are not shown in the Bentley
manual but the holes are there ? Sounds like I should just pass on those springs ! Tx for the info!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this is it these devices are supposed to be a help in returning the caliper to a full open position after you release the e brake lever. So your rear brakes don’t drag, which is a very common problem with the MK4 platform.

snaptube vidmate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts