NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Galaxy Blue 2000 2.0 NB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a 300-400watt power inverter in my car, but I am reading that the cigarette lighter will only put out 120 watts since it is 12 volt.

First, is this correct?

Second, has anyone installed an accessory power socket in their car with a higher voltage/wattage rating?

Thanks for any info on this.

This is the power inverter I was looking at:
Tripp Lite PV300 Power Inverter with Cigarette-Lighter Adapter

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
That's a beefy power inverter, are you sure it has a cigarrette power plug? I dunno if it would blow a fuse or not, but something like that should be connected directly to the battery.

***edit***
i dind't see the link oringally, that one doesnt look too bad, i'm still worried about the amperage it's pulling from the car. If it's nothing major (like a laptop or something) than you shouldnt have any real problems.

·
back from the beach....
203 Posts
I run my laptop off a 400 watt in the beetle from time to time and it works great. No issues at all.... just my personal .02

·
Galaxy Blue 2000 2.0 NB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gruven_98 said:
I run my laptop off a 400 watt in the beetle from time to time and it works great. No issues at all.... just my personal .02
Do you have yours connected right to the battery? Or is it just plugged into the cigarette lighter? Do you have an accessory socket?

Yes, Iw ould not be using it for more than a lap top or charging my phone. No power drills or blenders :)

·
Galaxy Blue 2000 2.0 NB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if anyone is using a power inverter with alligator clips for the battery, i'd beinterested to know how you have it wired, if you have to go throughthe firewall, etc.

thanks for the link, i will definitely consider that as an option. nice site for tools too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted my car to have a power inverter where I can also charge my laptop because I need it most of the time. I bought a power inverter that allows 400watts online and it allows me to charge my laptop in my car. Dunno with the cigarette lighter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts