VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...

on the way to get my frame c notched, i broke a shift linkage going from 5th to 6th. i popped the hood and put it in 3rd with my hand and drove it home 12 miles in third gear. this is the 2nd turbo-s that i have done this to now. i wasnt even racing. i have now broken 3 transmissions on the turbo-s (2 on the grey, and now this one). i cant got to TOD now and im going to out of a car for a week.

grr!!!!

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Sorry to hear about that; I feel your pain, as you know... from my 02M repair thread (are you only having external or internal failure issues?)!

Have you looked at the diesel geek linkage upgrade; it looks to be a very high quality, bulletproof, machined aluminum replacement!

Sigma 6 Speed Short Shift Kit Product Code: SS-SIGMA6

VW Short shifter for 6 speed Golf, GTI, Jetta, GLI, Passat, Audi TT and more. 30% reduction in both directions!

If one of your cable ends broke off; you can use this repair kit to fix it without replacing the whole cable assembly: (pretty sure this works with 02M too)

02A BILLET STAINLESS VW SHIFT CABLE REPAIR BLOCKS

02A Billet Stainless VW Shift Cable Repair Blocks - Gruven Parts

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just got done ripping everything apart. took the shifter apart and downthrough the opening (had to disconnect the downpipe and exhaust and heat shields) and opened the shifter box up. there is a plastic bushing that broke and the cable isnt connected. so i need a new bushing rather than a shifter fork. thank god.

the links you posted dont have the bushings. i need to search for those.. thanks billy, you still rock ;)

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, check out this thread; this guy did a diy and I think it would end up being more durable then replacing the parts with genuine vw stuff! What do you think? With your excellent fab skills; I'm sure you can do this easily! :)

6 speed shifter broken..need help repairing

VWVortex.com - 6 speed shifter broken..need help repairing

I'm sure you could probably improve upon what he did; I do think that addition of the non stock end would last much longer then the failure prone plastic bushings.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
already fixed it. used a rubber bushing and drilled out the center. works fine!

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So does this mean you're back in for TOD mang?
i dunno. see in this picture you can see the broken part:

and here is the part when i "pushed" them back together. notice it has 2 ridges on each side:

now this is the black rubber piece i put in. look where the arrow is pointing, there is no back piece to hold the shift linkage from slipping off. it will stay on, but if it slipped back, i would have very sloppy shifting. not something you want on the Tail. i outlined it in a red box where it should be.

and to top it off i hit a tire the night before in the road and cracked my bumper and lost a foglight and a lower pass side grill:

if the shift linkage was 100% then yes i would go. i dont want to be stranded on the side of the road 500 miles from my tools. the bumper i could fix when i got home and im looking for a foglight and a grill as we speak.

this is how she sits ATM. no c-notch so i still set 1 1/2" high on the drivers side.

like i said, i really want to go but there is no way im driving it that far without it being 100%

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey! Any update on your repair; if you wouldn't mind telling us what solution he decided to go with. Did you improve the Stocks set up to make it more reliable? I am sure we will all have to work on this problem at some point; the shifter linkage seem to be failure prone, in a number of different places! :-(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you look above i posted a pic of my repair. its the black rubber piece. its not something i would even to begin to tell you about how to do it, i found the piece in my toolbox. no telling where or what it came off of. :( sometimes i get lucky like that. wish i could be more help. i guess when that wears out ill be up poop creek again. but until then im taking my chances.

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What did you think of this repair solution?

VWVortex.com - 6 speed shifter broken..need help repairing

It looks like a solid upgrade; although, it seems it did require a bit of modifying of the original parts! It does look like a pretty bulletproof upgrade; however! :) He pretty much eliminated the stock parts; that look to be failure prone. :cool:

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i saw it, i think that its a bit clunky to be honest. there needs to be a lot of room for fast shifting if youre going to autocross. i am assuming it would be to much junk in the trunk. ill just replace it with stock parts when i can find them.

-jd

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
agreed!!

-jd

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Another expensive upgrade; this one made in Germany! Looks like it would eliminate the cheap; failure prone stock setup however! :) I wonder if they had these; in the Beetle Cup series cars? Any experience or seen this shifter setup? It looks like a stunningly; beautifully made piece! We can dream; can't we? :)

VW Motorsports shifter system: A4 Chassis w/02J & 02M Transmission

A4 Chassis w/02J & 02M Transmission : USRT, Usually Sideways Rally Team

After a little research; looks to be made by a German company called CAE RACING:

CAE Ultra Shifter

http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?k=41&lang=eng

http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index.php?a=74&lang=eng

Looks like the VW SCIROCCO 6-Speed MQ350/02M video; has the same trans as ours.:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CaeRacing/videos

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
too rich for my blood

-jd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts