NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who sells the 4 Wire Cooling Fan Drivers side. I know the dealer but I cannot afford those prices. I have seen on Ebay the 3 wire sells for $99.00 with shipping but a 4 wire is extremely expensive. I dont even know why I have a 4 wire one. maybe cause of the Turbo???

Any one have any idea's or leads?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Please fill in your personal info; year, model, engine etc.; there are possibly some options. Its at the point; where aftermarket full assemblies are being made or you might be able to just replace the electric motors for less money. Give us your cars stats; we can go from there..

Here are some examples; look thorough a number of the pages to see some of the motor kits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...+radiator+fan+motor&start=0&tbm=shop&tbs=vw:l

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just wondering, how did you find out you need a new radiator fan?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Does anyone know who sells the 4 Wire Cooling Fan Drivers side. I know the dealer but I cannot afford those prices. I have seen on Ebay the 3 wire sells for $99.00 with shipping but a 4 wire is extremely expensive. I dont even know why I have a 4 wire one. maybe cause of the Turbo???

Any one have any idea's or leads?

Thanks.
Be careful about off brand fan controllers. Purchase the fan controller from an online dealer if your local dealer will not discount or price match.

What is the problem? Do you know the fan controller is actually bad?

Fuses and other sensors may be the issue along with problem fans.

·
Registered
206 Posts
^ I second that. I recently bought a MTC brand FCM, and it went bad after 2 miles of driving.

I was trying to read what the difference is with the 4-pin and the 3-pin, especially since ECS Tuning doesn't sell one. According to a thread I found, the 4-pins are ground, low, medium, high speeds. Though I didn't think there was a medium speed, the person says different. So if this is indeed true, you could simply tie the medium speed to the low speed and use a 3-pin fan instead of spending all that extra $$.

http://www.justanswer.com/vw-volkswagen/58gb1-volkswagen-beetle-cooling-fan-question.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Fan came Apart from the motor. Actually I need a new radiaor fan and all the plastic engine sheets for undercarriage of the engine and sides. my wife must have hit something and it tore off the plastic under cover and then something hit the fan and snapped it off the motor. Fan is not fixable though the motor works.

·
Registered
14,057 Posts
Please add that info; to your profile, then we will know the info; when, we try to help you in the future.

There are some fan motors with the fans attached available:

https://www.google.com/search?q=200...001+vw+beetle+1.8T+cooling+fan+motor&tbm=shop

For the plastic covers; you might consider, some of the metal covers that are sold by dieselgeek and evolution motorsports. The fact of the matter is; the plastic stock units, will get torn off no matter how many times you replace them! Ask me how I know! What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing; over, over, and expecting a different result? :confused:

MK4 Panzer Plate Heavy Duty Aluminum Skid Plate Kit

New Beetle skid plate

Evolution Atlas Skid Plate With Oil Drain Hole & Cover For New Beetle, Golf & Jetta IV

Volkswagen Skid Plates

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
4 wire radiator fan

This place has the 4 wire radiator driver side fan for the 1.8T turbo cars. Mine has the same fan. And the correct part number is 1C0959455A , 345mm fan 3 speeds and one ground wire.
After market price of $45.00 , I would pay 45 any day of the week instead of paying $345 for the original oem brand. Also comes with a one year warranty I believe. Good luck folks....

www.hansautoparts.com

·
rolling down back roads
469 Posts
This place has the 4 wire radiator driver side fan for the 1.8T turbo cars. Mine has the same fan. And the correct part number is 1C0959455A , 345mm fan 3 speeds and one ground wire.
After market price of $45.00 , I would pay 45 any day of the week instead of paying $345 for the original oem brand. Also comes with a one year warranty I believe. Good luck folks....

www.hansautoparts.com
After looking on their website and only seeing 3 wire connectors, I called and the very nice lady went and pulled both of the fans they stock and both were 3 wire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
fan

I'm sure that's the case.
I zoomed in it the pic of the plug they had on their site and saw only 3 wires. That's what made me decide to call.

Dude you're in the wrong web site cause the one I looked at didn't even had a picture,. I called the company myself yesterday and they specified , yes it's a 4 WIRE plug. We are here to help people out and save Money seems like you're not and trying to lead people away from that.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
wrong fan

Mr bugshop was correct this is only the three wire fan that is being falsely advertised by hansauto. My apologies to Mr Bugshop he was correct and I was wrong.

·
rolling down back roads
469 Posts
Mr bugshop was correct this is only the three wire fan that is being falsely advertised by hansauto. My apologies to Mr Bugshop he was correct and I was wrong.
No apology necessary. You were just misinformed by an incorrect seller.

I hate it when venders sell a part that is misadvertised and people have not only their money but time invested in the wrong part.

I do have to say that the lady I spoke with was very nice and willing to go pull the part and look (more than most will do).
And would not hesitate to buy from them if they had what I needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys I just replied to a similar thread,just gonna copy paste.
I know this post is old but I also see replies a few years after initial post.

I kinda have same problem,I have a 1996 Golf Mk3 Gti. Long story short,the thick 6mm Red/Green wire on mine is not connected and does not go to the fan thermoswitch (screwed into radiator)as another guy posted here.Yes my car also has an ecu.

Im not saying he is wrong,but on my car,my thermoswitch has all 3 of it's wires already connected and I have tested that they work by jumping the pins.

I have either the slow or med speed working. Let me explain,acc to Haynes manual I have a 3 speed fan (has to do with my second inline {also 4 pin} coolant temp sensor)

Im no auto elec but my fan works regarding 4 wire to 3pin cooling fan ,with 6mm Red/Green stripe "blanked off".

Do u guys also have a 3 speed fan like mine is supposed to be? That 4th wire of mine is bothering me because I know I am supposed to have a faster speed which should kick in when the temp gets very hot.
Just to add to this,someone said here that the 4 pin is ground,low,med an high which makes sense.
So basically if I don't buy a 4 pin fan I won't have the high speed working? (Unless I swop the wires on my thermoswitch like it was before,then I had high speed but not low/med )
Another thing is that I have read about a 3 speed fan thermoswitch (I have a 2 speed). Will probably have to get that as well.
Anybody shed some light?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
According to that diagram , pin 1 is the ground, pin 4 is high speed , pin 3 is medium and pin2 is slow speed. Did you ever find a 4 wire large fan at a decent price ? you might could use a 3 wire fan with your 4 pin wire connection just don't connect the low speed. I personally just removed mine and clean, repair , put back together and has been working good so far after 5 yrs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanx esse 10 for the speed to wire match. Since my post I have in the meantime decided to do just that and leave the low speed out.
Something else I'm not sure about,and I'm assuming the test is the same for all cars,is when you test the radiator thermo switch by bridging the wires.
On the one forum the guy says when bridging the pins,the fan SHOULD come on at the specified speeds.
But on another forum the guy says when bridging the pins,the fan SHOULD NOT come on at the specified speeds.
So should the fan come on or not when bridging to test radiator thermo switch ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh ya to answer your question esse 10, I have not looked for a fan because mine still works,just the wiring which someone messed up

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Thanx esse 10 for the speed to wire match. Since my post I have in the meantime decided to do just that and leave the low speed out.
Something else I'm not sure about,and I'm assuming the test is the same for all cars,is when you test the radiator thermo switch by bridging the wires.
On the one forum the guy says when bridging the pins,the fan SHOULD come on at the specified speeds.
But on another forum the guy says when bridging the pins,the fan SHOULD NOT come on at the specified speeds.
So should the fan come on or not when bridging to test radiator thermo switch ?
To answer your question on the thermo switch i don't believe the fans come on it's a typo. You have to remove the switch to test it properly, use vice grip pliers and hold the switch submerge in a pot of boiling water, connect an OHM meter from the 3 pin to all the other pins one at a time and you'll see the resistance change from high ohms to lower ohms as the water changes temperature. You use a thermometer in the water also.
To test the fans you have to remove the plug and jumber a ground wire to the ground pin, then jumper 12v to each of the other pins one at a time in the plug and the fans come on at different speeds, done it myself. IMO it's still not a real true test because most of the time those fans drag because of all the brush dust inside and with the small wires that VW used not enough current flows trough those wires that's why they don't spin so well . So when you jumper the pins use the same gauge wires as what's going to the plug...i believe they're 16 gauge, not 100% sure on the gauge size i haven't touched mine since i repaired it 8 yrs ago or so.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts