NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to hook up a 3 wire cooling fan to a 4 wire beetle. I have a 2002 turbo sport. And the only fan I can locate new or used is a 3 wire hook up. Is there a way to bypass one wire or run the wire from side in tandam with the other, in turn making a 3 wire hook up?? Thanks for any help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem, the only cooling fans I can find are 3 wire and the stock fan and connector is 4 wire. Any one have an answer out there.

·
201 Posts
Same story here, I am going to pop open my four wire fan to see where the wires go... if two of them hook up to the same terminal...then that is the answer...

I am hoping the red/black and red/white are the same terminal on the motor, just two different feeds. I will post my findings.

JC

·
201 Posts
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the four wire fan?

there is a heavier gauge solid red wire.

a Red/white wire

a Red/black wire

and a brown wire - I know this is ground

·
201 Posts
Can the heavy gauge(Red)Coolant Thermal switch wire be combined with either the low speed input or high speed input in order to adapt a three wire fan?

Do Jettas that operate with two three wire fans incorporate a Coolant Thermal switch?

If they do and it goes into the control unit, could I simply swap out the fan control unit from a doner MkIV Jetta?

·
Registered
1 Posts
4 Wire to 3 Wire Conversion

An adapter can easily be built by cutting the two connectors off the original fans. Splice the Red to Red, Brown to Brown, and the Red/White-Red/Black to the Red/White. The 4 wire connector connects to the 4 wire on the car and the 3 wire connects to the 3 wire on the fan assembly, just like it was intended that way. Works Great!

Do not connect the Red-White or Red-Black wires to the Red wire as some have suggested as the wire gage is insufficient to carry the load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ECS Tuning carries the 4 wire fan and its around $60 IIRC. I emailed them about it. The description says 4 wire but the pic shows the 3 wire connector and it actually it the 4 wire fan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I am glad I found this post! We got a 3 wire fan, and I am trying to talk my husband into following these directions and making it work, he is skeptical though :)
Have you actually done this to a beetle and didnt have any ECM issues?

An adapter can easily be built by cutting the two connectors off the original fans. Splice the Red to Red, Brown to Brown, and the Red/White-Red/Black to the Red/White. The 4 wire connector connects to the 4 wire on the car and the 3 wire connects to the 3 wire on the fan assembly, just like it was intended that way. Works Great!

Do not connect the Red-White or Red-Black wires to the Red wire as some have suggested as the wire gage is insufficient to carry the load.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Long Term Effectiveness

Does anyone have a long term report on if this works? Trying to decide if I want to pay $375 for a 3 speed or $80 for a 2 speed fan. This is the last piece that I need to finish repairing/replacing the AC system in my 03 1.8t bug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I second that request. I have a 2001 turbo and a 4 wire fan. Can't find a replacement anywhere and am hoping this re-wiring solution works. Can anyone verify?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The post telling us to hook up red to red and brown to brown and the red-white and red-black wires combined sounds good... except the wires for the 3 wire replacement fan are brown, red-white and red-black; there is no red wire to hook up to.

I have the 4 wire fan out, the new 3 wire fan at the ready, and can't seem to find anyone who has actually wired this up and has it working.

I have run across James1032's posting cut and pasted verbatim into 2 other websites answering similar (but not the same) questions.

Anyone got any insights?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this post is old but I also see replies a few years after initial post.

I kinda have same problem,I have a 1996 Golf Mk3 Gti. Long story short,the thick 6mm Red/Green wire on mine is not connected and does not go to the fan thermoswitch (screwed into radiator)as another guy posted here.Yes my car also has an ecu.

Im not saying he is wrong,but on my car,my thermoswitch has all 3 of it's wires already connected and I have tested that they work by jumping the pins.

I have either the slow or med speed working. Let me explain,acc to Haynes manual I have a 3 speed fan (has to do with my second inline {also 4 pin} coolant temp sensor)

Im no auto elec but my fan works regarding 4 wire to 3pin cooling fan ,with 6mm Red/Green stripe "blanked off".

Do u guys also have a 3 speed fan like mine is supposed to be? That 4th wire of mine is bothering me because I know I am supposed to have a faster speed which should kick in when the temp gets very hot.
Below is a diagram someone here asked for,but can u please simplify it for us non auto elec. ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts