NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 06 Beetle is coming up on it's 40K service. Dealer wants big $$$ to do this for me. I'm fairly good with servicing various vehicles but to be honest, I just bought this car and my last VW was an '81 rabbit diesel, so.. quite a difference.

There also doesn't seem to be a Chilton/Haynes book for this car yet - I guess that it's too new.

Any links to how-to's, tips, advice, etc. on how I can do the 40k myself would be appreciated. I just spent all my hard earned coin to buy this thing, now the dealer wants to take even more!! Aak! Help!

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hi, my 06 Beetle is coming up on it's 40K service. Dealer wants big $$$ to do this for me. I'm fairly good with servicing various vehicles but to be honest, I just bought this car and my last VW was an '81 rabbit diesel, so.. quite a difference.

There also doesn't seem to be a Chilton/Haynes book for this car yet - I guess that it's too new.

Any links to how-to's, tips, advice, etc. on how I can do the 40k myself would be appreciated. I just spent all my hard earned coin to buy this thing, now the dealer wants to take even more!! Aak! Help!
If I remember 40k, it should just be Oil, sparkplugs, an air filter and about a billion checks. The airfilter i'm sure you can do on your own. That should save you about $60 on your service.

Plus, i would recommend you find a Vw Shop around you somewhere. The costs with them are MUUUUUCH better.

EG: When i was getting my timing belt done, i paid $460 at a shop vs $1,400 at the stealership.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips! I checked the vw website for what needs to be done at $40 and there seems to be a bunch of things like lubricating the chassis and plugging the car into a computer. Does that sound right?

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I checked the vw website for what needs to be done at $40 and there seems to be a bunch of things like lubricating the chassis and plugging the car into a computer. Does that sound right?
Leave the chasis to the next one, as for plugging it into a computer to reset the service light just use this ;)

Just searching for the How To for you :)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Hold in your mileage reset button, turn on ignition to first position, keep holding it in and then turn off ignition :)

Also recommend you change the Pollen filter, you call it something else out their in the U.S. Under the dash on your left or maybe it's your right over their :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's a nice kit. Sure cheaper than paying the stealership $600+
The kit is nice but am I missing a couple of things? Shouldn't there also be a chassis lubrication in there, brake flush, DSG fluid, wiper blades, air filter, etc? Here's a link to the maintenance schedule for this vehicle from VW:

Maintenance Schedule

I think that the kit may be missing a few things but I may pick one up anyways - it's a start.

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
I have the 6 speed auto
There it is. That's why it's so expensive. That tranny demands proper fluid changes every 40k miles IIRC, otherwise bad things can start to happen. "Proper" in this case means hooking it up to a VW computer to make sure the trans is in an optimal temp range, then doing the work.

I know it can be done at home, but it's MUCH easier to have someone else do it. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There it is. That's why it's so expensive. That tranny demands proper fluid changes every 40k miles IIRC, otherwise bad things can start to happen. "Proper" in this case means hooking it up to a VW computer to make sure the trans is in an optimal temp range, then doing the work.

I know it can be done at home, but it's MUCH easier to have someone else do it. :)
Would a Goodyear be able to do something like this or is it dealer only?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The kit is nice but am I missing a couple of things? Shouldn't there also be a chassis lubrication in there, brake flush, DSG fluid, wiper blades, air filter, etc? Here's a link to the maintenance schedule for this vehicle from VW:

Maintenance Schedule

I think that the kit may be missing a few things but I may pick one up anyways - it's a start.
We build out our 40k service kits as a general purpose kit for each model due to so many variances, they are intended to be a good starting point but are not all inclusive of every item. We do also have DSG service kits available, brake fluid, etc... but we include the major service items in the 40k kits, then let customers choose other maintenance based on the transmission type, brake fluid time, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything you need? Not so sure.

We build out our 40k service kits as a general purpose kit for each model due to so many variances, they are intended to be a good starting point but are not all inclusive of every item. We do also have DSG service kits available, brake fluid, etc... but we include the major service items in the 40k kits, then let customers choose other maintenance based on the transmission type, brake fluid time, etc...
I understand what you are saying however your website is misleading. The following was copy/pasted from the first line of your product's description:

Everything you need to perform the recommended 40k mile service on your 2.5L

If that's not the case, you really should change it. Some people might get upset if they purchase your kit and didn't do some research on their own regarding what the 40K service actually entails.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tire filler bottle

Btw, does anyone know what a "tire filler bottle" is?

Not finding out much about it on google and the 40K service suggests replacing. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'll mention things to the parts guys and see if they can edit the description so there isn't any confusion. The 40k service consists of quite a few items, some just simple checks to ensure things are functioning properly. The "tire filler bottle" is probably a can of "fix-o-flat", some cars had this as part of the emergency kit, but not all models may have had it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Did a bit more research

Did a bit more research and it seems that the tire filler is as you said, a fix-o-flat cannister. It's pretty common with Jetta's but not with my Beetle.

I also called up the dealer again to see what exactly they were charging $729 for and mentioned the Direct Shift Transaction (DSG) fluid change. They said that the transmission I have is a sealed, never-service unit.

Evidently the DSG is an optional high-end transmission that "learns" your driving behavior and adjusts accordingly. It's on a few cars, for beetles on the diesel version so it doesn't apply to me (yay!).

So it looks like the kit will do the trick - I really does provide all of the parts you will need. I only have one strange observation - the kit provides a new drain plug for the oil?

According to this post: http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/37055-diy-oil-change-2-5l.html I should buy an expensive pump and suck out the oil rather than drain it. Why does the kit have a new drain plug? Am I missing something?

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
I also called up the dealer again to see what exactly they were charging $729 for and mentioned the Direct Shift Transaction (DSG) fluid change. They said that the transmission I have is a sealed, never-service unit.

Evidently the DSG is an optional high-end transmission that "learns" your driving behavior and adjusts accordingly. It's on a few cars, for beetles on the diesel version so it doesn't apply to me (yay!).
Automatics still should have their fluid changed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any ideas how?

Automatics still should have their fluid changed
I agree - to be honest I don't really trust the whole "sealed transmission" idea. It sounds like VW wants to limit the lifespan of the vehicle.

The dealer tells me that they don't do it because it is a sealed system. Does that sounds right?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The dealers consider most of the automatic transmissions a "lifetime fill", I personally feel the meaning of that is "lifetime of the warranty fill". I typically change out the transmission fluid in automatic cars, between 80k to 100k miles however some of the newer transmissions (B6 Passat) are calling for 40k service intervals similar to the DSG.

We include a new drain plug with our service kits for those that still do the old fashioned drain / fill. It would not be needed if a oil pump was used to suction the oil out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts