NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 2.0 Beetle , with 74000 miles

I am now on mt 4th water pump in 8 months , as the impeller keeps shearing off. Previously I had 14 months trouble free driving.

Has anyone else had this problem , and does anyone know what could be causing it?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a local mechanic with a very good reputation , and th eparts are coming from a well known UK parts supplier , though are not VW parts.

I see elsewhere that someone has suggested buying a pump with a metal impellor , would you recommend it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ispoke to my mechanic this morning, the last 2 pumps have had a metal impellor! What's happening now in not the impellor shattering , but the seal going, forcing coolant to leak out.

Is it because the metal impellor is becoming too hot, frying the seal?

Im trading it in after Christmas,even though Ill lose money on the finance deal.I loved this car but its beaten me, I'll never buy VW again

·
Registered
47 Posts
Which radiator fluid is he putting in? Sounds like not the correct one if the seal is wearing that fast... That VW spec stuff has additives for the seals and aluminum parts as well...

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
Well... if he's taking it to his local mechanic and not the dealer, maybe they aren't using the correct coolant.

Ralphie, what is he putting in there? Hopefully not prestone from pep boys.

I know you are mad... but don't you think it's weird that you are having all these troubles after going to the same mechanic all these times, especially with respect to the seals? You can mess up a seal pretty easy if you aren't careful. I'm not blaming him, but do the math: how many miles did your car have when it needed the first pump? Now, how many have you added over the lifespans of each of the new ones?

HMMM. Why wasn't it blowing pumps like that before?

I honestly doubt that it's something with your bug - doesn't it make more sense to consider the guy that's installing these things as well rather than blaming the car and the company? Do you think it's plausible that he might be doing something incorrectly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts