NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
jycshen
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, new NB owner here so excuse my silly question. I was wondering if it is possible to install a center backseat seatbelt. I realized that space is not designed for extra person but sometimes I just want to fit all my good friends who hang out together, and there are 5 of us. I was wondering if it is possible to install a middle seat seatbelt and if anyone has done it. Thanks :) and have a great day.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,967 Posts
I will say from experience, fitting 5 people in a Beetle is not comfortable. At all. I wouldn't even try putting an extra belt back there. Not many people would want to be squeezed back there like that!:p

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I wouldn't do it either but more because of the safety design of the car. The car is designed for 4 people. Unless your friends are all little people, you will make 3 people very uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I have in a somewhat emergency, had three teenagers in back. As long as it's not a long trip & they aren't bigger than teenage girls it should work. I too wish I had a third seatbelt as there is always one extra passenger in her group & we end up having to take the gas guzzling trooper :mad:

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
ACTUALLY.......YES, you can put a third seatbelt. The space is the same as the Golf which has three in the back. You will only be able to put a lap belt though not a shoulder belt. I have installed a centre seatbelt in my 2002 NB and it is flawless, there is a mounting point as well but its undrilled, you just need to drill one hole for the lap belt mounting point. The Beetle crash testing showed rear intrusion on the right and left sides of the rear seat area thats why VW doesn't put a thrid one back there,(and of course cost savings). I have a baby chair in the centre and my two ten and eleven year oldsa on either side. The curved roof will be a problem for taller people on the two sides though. Buy the lap belt from VW or an auto wrecker from a 1997 or earlier car as shoulder belts are used from 1998 and up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ACTUALLY.......YES, you can put a third seatbelt. The space is the same as the Golf which has three in the back. You will only be able to put a lap belt though not a shoulder belt. I have installed a centre seatbelt in my 2002 NB and it is flawless, there is a mounting point as well but its undrilled, you just need to drill one hole for the lap belt mounting point. The Beetle crash testing showed rear intrusion on the right and left sides of the rear seat area thats why VW doesn't put a thrid one back there,(and of course cost savings). I have a baby chair in the centre and my two ten and eleven year oldsa on either side. The curved roof will be a problem for taller people on the two sides though. Buy the lap belt from VW or an auto wrecker from a 1997 or earlier car as shoulder belts are used from 1998 and up.
Thanks for sharing. I was looking into putting on a 3 belt back there. I have 4 boy's. My husband has 2015 VW golf tdi diesel for work commute and I have 2002 VW beetle which I love!! But have to make extra trips dropping and picking them up 😕. I thought getting a 3 Rd belt would solve that problem for me😁. Thanks for sharing the feed back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts