NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 2.0 5spd which needs the shifter/shift linkage replaced and possibly (unsure if the aforementioned will fix problem) the entire trans. I wanted to switch over (since mine is faulty)to the new 99 and up shifter and linkage and therefore also need the gear selector shaft from a newer model 5spd car. My question is what year/model 5spd beetle transmissions will be simply swap substitutes.I was just going to buy a newer trans with the gear selector shaft so if the shifter/linkage swap doesn't work I can swap the entire trans.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Whats going on with your trans? The '99 has the same shifter assembly as the '98's as an FYI. I had my carrier fail last year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shifter broke through sheet metal

Originally the shifter actually broke through the crappy thin sheet metal holding it in place. I am not sure if this being loose was causing the shifting into first and reverse to be difficult or if there is another problem with the trans.So I can swap a 99 5 speed with no problem? Can I use any year newbeetle 5 speed without issue or complicated alterations? Thanks!
I just hate to use the same 98 shifter set up since it was essentially defective and a short shift unit is appealing.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Is your shift carrier in good shape? Its plastic on the '98 and '99 cars, which breaks and causes problems in shifting. Could just make shifting difficult, or in my case when it completely breaks, you lose all but 3rd and 4th gear. Replacement of that part was all I needed and my car shifts like butter now. Might want to try to adjust the shift linkage too. All cheap and easier than swapping transmissions.

Not sure on the trans swap though if you really want to do it. What I was saying was that if you are complaining about the '98 shifter set-up, you don't want a '99, as they are the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts