VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this 98 beetle with a 2.0 5 speed because it had a bad transmission according to the PO. The side/side cable had a broken link (that cheap plastic piece) and I got the kit from Gruven and replaced the part. The car has no gear engagement of any kind and no grinding what so ever. The cables move as they should, and the shifter bits on the top of the tranny look fine, they move when someone moves the shifter. It rotates the shaft and slides it up and down.

Where do i start? is this something common or should I just grab another tranny?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the clutch. No grinding of gears at all. What it is, the rotational and up down piece on the top of the shaft tower has splines on it and they are toast. The shaft slides up and down, but won't rotate. I stuck a cats paw under it, hit the nut with a hammer handle and it engaged the splines enough to rotate and feel like it's doing something. When the battery gets charged up enough I will test for gears. Then, rather than replace the tower piece, I'll get the splines where they belong, tack weld it, retest and then weld away! I figure I have little to lose. If it doesn't work, it's a hundred dollar transmission at U-pick it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, your problem; ended up being the splines were stripped and the tack weld, fixed the problem? Was the shifter bracket or the shaft stripped out; I think the shaft is steel and the bracket is aluminum?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shaft was steel and the bracket was some sort of iron or steel. I got them lined up and welded them together, very solid. I don't bang shift it anyway, but I don't think it will be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts