VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Got a '98 tdi and for a while now, have had like bearing sound coming from wheel. Ended up changing wheel bearing, cv axle, inner and outer tie rods. Noise is still there, turns out now it is the diff bearing. Been told that I may as well just get a used trans with the diff.
My question is.......Do I have to find a used 5 speed from a tdi or can i get one from a regular gasoline bug ?
Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
I would identify the transmission code and then, you could get the same one. Here is some info; on the different trans codes and what the differences are.

IDENTIFICATION
Volkswagen Audi Group (VAG) transaxle is identified by a type
number cast into transaxle case. Three letter suffix identifies model.
Code letter and production date information is stamped on a machined
surface located inside the start mounting area and on upper portion of
transaxle clutch housing surface.

I would assume; you have a 02J trans and the codes would be either a "EBJ or EGR": from the charts below, it seems the TDI has different gear ratios (1st through 5th) and the ring and pinion radio is different as well:

VW transmisssion codes and ratios.

VW Tranny Code Chart

rebuld manual for reference:

http://www.vwmotorsport.com/vwtech/gears/mt_02J_overhaul.pdf

Common failure issues:

02J Trans repair | Kansas City TDI

You might contact Kansascity TDI and see what he charges for the repair:

Contact | Kansas City TDI

·
Registered
15,842 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
You definitely want to get another TDI transmission. Gasser transmissions aren't geared right for the torque of the TDI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
True as it may be to have a hard time finding a tranmission.... you can get away with buying a gasser trans 1.8t would be the next closer... you can get a VW transporter od gear and get the rpms close enough to keep your revs low

1 - 7 of 7 Posts