NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be buying a 03-04 NBC and started doing some homework, it's VERY hard to find a 5sp GLX...It looks like 03-04's run from 18999 (West Coast) to 23-24K. I drive a 00 2.0L and was wondering: What do you guys think? Is there noticeable acceleration difference (1.8L) between 5sp and Auto? Will the auto feel "weak" picking up the pace? I have driven a 04 5sp GLX and loved it! However I haven't driven an auto yet.
And what about the 06 NBC? It seems like you might be able to get a 06 5sp w/pack2 for 24.5k
Anybody had the same thoughts?
Hammer

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Tiptronic! Auto and Manual modes! :D

Our '05 has the 1.8T and Tiptronic. The acceleration does NOT feel weak, especially in manual or sport mode. While driving a New Beetle Convertible, no need to worry about what gear you're in! :lol:

Nothing but enjoying the ride. There are those who would have nothing but a 5-speed. It really is personal preference.

If you can, drive both, and go from there. You will find the answer! :)

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I might go today and see if they have a Tiptronic to check it out.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
I think u posted this subject on the 'tex too, right? I have an '04 5-speed vert, my wife has an '03 Jetta 1.8T GLX wagon w/Tiptronic. Yeah, un-chipped we would be pretty much neck and neck in the straights, but the BIG difference comes in the throttle modulation, u just can't finesse the gearing of the Tiptronic to do what u want...

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got you...

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
I really was hoping to get my nbc today :( but alas it didn't happen. The dealer sent me an email this morning that all cars are $100 over invoice, which I think is pretty good. But my hubby couldn't go today, the dealership is an hour west of here and hubby works an hour east of here so it just didn't happen and I am bummed out. Btw, I going with the tiptronic.
~Shelly

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Does the 04 NBC come in Turbo S? I thought the only available trims were GLS or GLX. I talked to a lady and she claims she has an 04 1.8T S...Is she right? If she is, what are the differences and is it worth the premium? Next thing will be the color...Narrowed it down to 3: Harvest moon beige, light yellow, and the baby blue. I have a black interior now so I want to change to tan, but I think tan comes only in the Harvest beige...decisions, decisions, decisions!
Hammer

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
A Turbo S is a Turbo S. You can get a turbo in the vert, but not a "Turbo S".

A Turbo S was a limited edition hardtop. I have one, and know them well. VW discontinued them in '04. :(

I don't know what the gal you talked to has, but I do know she does not have a Turbo S NBC.......;)

What about Salsa Red? Can you not get beige with that? Our '05 Tornado Red NBC has beige leather.....

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I thought...I didn't want to argue with her over the phone, but the S comes only in H/B and not open top. She kept insisting that hers is a "limited" edition, and from what I saw it is a normal NBC, ...Newport Beach chicks...:confused:
Hammer

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
She's totally trippin' man, not only is it an automatic (all S's are 6 speeds), it's YELLOW, there's no S body parts and I don't even see a turbo badge on the trunk lid...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
get the '06

For that price, I think you'd be better off with an '06. (Especially if all the red flags brought up in other posts are correct. This sounds like it could be a real nightmare.) But maybe "OBO" means she'll consider a low-risk price. Maybe.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
No vert but .... I wouldn't go for it. As others have stated ... there are no Turbo S NBC's. And blah blah ... what others have said.

And, why doesnt it have plates? What is an'automanual'? Never heard of that!? What engine does it have? 0_O

1 - 17 of 17 Posts