NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently made a deal on a 2002 Beetle GLS 2.0 that needs a new engine. The 5th digit on the vin is B and the engine code is AVH.

My question is what are the differences between the AVH and the AZG and the B and K vin bit.

Also, since this engine was used in Jettas and Golfs, what would be the correct 5th digit and engine code to look for on those?

From what I have read, the AVH was used from 01-05, so would any work in an 02?

My main concern is an ECU incompatibility and what other differences that could hamper a simple swap.

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
11,211 Posts
Those are good questions; you might post them, on the vwvortex 2.0L forum, which is dedicated to that particular vw engine and see if you get some helpful info there. They have a faq area; at the top, that might be something to look at for 2.0L 8V engine differences.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?28-2-0-Liter-Engine-Forum

Hopefully, someone here or there, can chime in, to help you. If you figure things out; please post back here and that way, the info will be documented, help other in the future with the same questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sourced a good engine for the swap from a salvage dealer. Same codes and all so it shouldn't be different.

My follow up would be what are the typical consumables and things to replace while Its out.

Thanks

Tim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
BEE UTE
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing