VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hope someone can help me with my problem my wife's interchange in her 53 plate vw beetle is in the arm rest it was working fine then stopped reading disc's I purchased a replacement off ebay with the same model number 1j0035110 I unplugged the old one and plugged in the replacement when I press the cd button on the stereo to select the interchanger it comes up error is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a code that needs entering for the cd player the stereo still works fine and is not in safe mode.if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi all hope someone can help me with my problem my wife's interchange in her 53 plate vw beetle is in the arm rest it was working fine then stopped reading disc's I purchased a replacement off ebay with the same model number 1j0035110 I unplugged the old one and plugged in the replacement when I press the cd button on the stereo to select the interchanger it comes up error is there something I'm doing wrong or is there a code that needs entering for the cd player the stereo still works fine and is not in safe mode.if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
I have the earlier 2002 new beetle with the disc changer in the trunk (or in the uk: aka: the rear "boot" or luggage compartment); I think, mine is a oem Clarion made unit. I have found, that over the years, the inside, gets full of dust and causes disc reading errors. I have used compressed air, to blow out the cd player and this fixed it most times. At other times, I have partially disassembled the cd play and carefully, cleaned the laser head and this fixed, a more stubborn, reading problem, that was not solved by removing dust from the player.

While, I cannot say; this will fix your problem, it has fixed mine and I bought it, at my local vw dealers parts dept, in 2000 and have been able, to clean it, solve the reading problem, whenever it pops up, from time to time.

If you do not get anywhere; there are online repair shops, that will repair stock VW head units and cd changers or try to find another good used one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts