NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2000 yellow 1.8 turbo. I just found this website.
$50 too late, just had a headlight changed at a dealership.
Our mileage is approaching 60,000, what do they do at the 60,000 checkup? Is it worth the $600 they may charge?
I could use a new serpentine belt, is it possible to it do myself? I am jet engine mechanic, but I can hardly see the belt under the hood. Dealership will charge $150 to do the belt,
is it one of those jobs that will take me hours and alot of bad langauge?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, welcome to the board. Here is a link that contains what is done at each maintenace schedule.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184

There are quite a few things that the dealership will do, but I don't know if the price is worth it. My dealer quoted me $491 for the 60k maintenance. Anyways, a lot of fellow members recommend the timing belt, water pump, and tensioners be replaced at this time as well because the water pump has the plastic impellar which is known to break and cause problems elsewhere. You should also replace the serpentine at this time too! Good luck. My dealer quoted me $800 for labor alone to do the timing belt and water pump. I won't be going there!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
2000yellow said:
$50 too late, just had a headlight changed at a dealership.
Dang... I would have done it for just $40! ;)

Are you mechanically inclined? Do you own a VAG-COM? If the answer is yes to both, do the work yourself and order your parts online from www.1stvwparts.com, www.worldimpex.com or www.ecstuning.com. You'll save tons of money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The serpentine belt is much easier than it looks. Just pull the car on ramps. Use an open-ended wrench to move the tensioner thus allowing you to remove the old belt. Then put new belt on. Thge ramps are just so you can slide under the car to align the belt on the crank and power steering -- there is no way I could reach my hand down there from above.

Took me approx 15 minutes....

I would never try the timing belt -- that looks too hard and risky. Too many threads about it taking 8+ hours....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts