NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently upgraded the Monsoon head unit in my 2003 NBC from a tape player to the newer CD player that supports MP3 and Sat.

I already had the 6 disc changer in the console.

I was surprised to see the newer head unit had an Aux function on the display. I started looking around for cables and found very little useful information.

Many people purchased aftermarket interface boxes that appear to go in place of the CD changer. All the cables I found were the blue 8 pin connector.

Well after a lot of looking around and studying the new head unit, it appears that it had a 6 pin connector that supported Aux input.

Then I realized that the connector in the car actually had the spare Green and Yellow 6 pin connectors that marry up with the blue connector to make up the entire plug that goes into the head unit.

Well I decided to purchase one of the Aux cables on ebay that had the 8 pin blue connector. I figured this would not work, but all I really wanted was the wiring with the terminals installed.

Well the package came today. I played around trying to figure out how to release the small terminals from the blue connector, could not get anywhere fast enough, so I decided to carefully cut the blue connector so I could release the terminals.

Once I had the terminals out, 15 minutes later I had them plugged in to the existing green connector in the car and had a working Aux input!!

Pandora, tunes on my Droid, awesome!!!

Now the next project is the new OEM Sirius module I picked up for $50, this will be a bit tougher, but I will get this sorted. Very similar to the 2 BMW's that I added factory Sirius in.

So for anyone with a newer head unit, not sure the older ones will support the Aux input, you can get your Aux working for under $10.

Now I am going to look into a Bluetooth A2DP interface so I will not need a cable at all!

The other thing I want to do it tie into the glovebox light (only works with the ignition on) and use this to drive a relay that will allow me to switch the lighter socket to on all the time or on only with ignition!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2003 NB Turbo, and I'm looking to replace my faulty tape deck monsoon. I have a 6 disc changer in the trunk. Do you still have all functionality to the disc player? Is it all possible that you took pictures? lol

I'm really interested in whether this would work for mu situation. My tape deck is dying, and I use it to listen to my iphone. Only time I listen to the radio is for NPR, and while I rarely use my CD changer, I still will like to have the option since I already have it installed.

I've been looking on ebay for replacement units and some have SAT and others CDP, I'm not sure if this matters. Could you link to the aux connecter you purchased? Thanks for any information you give!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the cable I purchased from ebay - Volkswagen VW MP3 iPod 3 5mm 1 8" Jack Aux Input Cable Lead 8 Pin ISO US Seller | eBay

Note, I did not use the blue connector that came with the cable, I had to get the terminals out of the connector which was not very easy. You may be able to use 2 paper clips to release the terminals, however, I carefully cut the connector to get the terminals out as I was impatient.

I found a decent newer OEM MP3/CD Monsoon head unit on ebay and it had the SAT & AUX. No coding needed. Swapped out for the original tape player. Now I also have MP3 CD player in the dash, unfortunately the Sony 6 disc changer in the console dues not support MP3 CD's however, some of the trunk mounted changers apparently do support MP3 CD playback.

I used the green connector next to the CD changer Blue connector and plugged the terminals in the appropriate cavities. There are 2 dummy connectors married to the blue CD changer connector. These dummy connectors are just empty of wires, you can just plug in the terminals from the Aux cable to the proper locations.

The blue connector as it comes may or may not work in the CD changer port of your head unit?? You would disconnect the CD changer and try the blue connector, however, the head unit may need to see the CD changer to work correctly??

I have been using Pandora in the car a lot since getting my Aux function working.

I have ordered a Belkin Aircast to try with my Driod. If this works then I can stream from my phone via Bluetooth A2DP and hopefully have hands free speaker phone as well?

I have already used the speaker phone on my Driod with the audio through the Monsoon system and it sounded outstanding on my end and the person I was taking to seemed to think I sounded fine with the phone in the cupholder.

My car is a Vert, so the CD changer is in the console and not in the trunk so slightly different.

Next task is OEM Sirius retrofit.

I just have to figure out the wiring, then I will be good.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just added this Bluetooth A2DP/Phone interface. Not 100% perfect, however, really nice to be able to stream music/Pandora from my phone without wires. I can take calls and listen over the stereo system and the mic works nice.

Amazon.com: Belkin Bluetooth Car Hands-Free Kit for Apple iPod, Apple iPhone, BlackBerry,and Android Smartphones, US Version: MP3 Players & Accessories thing just went up $5 in 2 days!

Will try to take a picture where I have it located, just below the radio volume knob and to the left of the climate temp control. Fits nice, looks good, easy to reach and good voice quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts